Is a spin Jag worth it?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach.trumble

Reaction score
Does anyone use one? Is it just hype? Does it work? Seems to make sense that the Jag would spin rather than rub on the bullet.

To answer that question accurately we would have to know about your other equipment.
So if you have a range rod with a bearing in the handle like the Lehigh, then a normal jag with an indent the shape of the bullet you use will do just as well.
If you use a older style ramrod or reload with the ramrod carried in the gun then the spin jag would be worth the price if you shop around and get a good price.

I absolutely feel they are worth it. I have 5 or 6 of them. It just makes sense when you think about it. Instead of the cleaning patch pulling strait out it makes the patch follow the grooves in the rifling getting it cleaner. But as Lee said if you have a rod with bearings in it already a spin jag would be redundant.

I have a SpinJag. It is a well made cleaning jag/bullet loader. I

For the shooter who is working on the details for accuracy (i.e. matching bullets to sabots, carefully measuring powder charges, paying attention to clean vs. fouled bore shooting, etc.) I think a SpinJag is definitely worth it.

For the shooter who simply wants to drop two pellets down the barrel, load a sabot and make sure the rifle is shooting minute of deer, probably won't make any difference.

To answer OP, YES, they are worth it! I have spinjags for both 45 and 50 cal and for my short starters. If all you are shooting is "belted" bullets probably not but if shooting anything else, yes, worth it. W

To me it seems it is best, if the bullet/sabot follows the rifling down the barrel. For a hunting rifle, it may be, the easiest way to accomplish this, is by using a spin jag.

Sounds like people like them. I'm using a CVA Optima V2 with the supplied rod in the field. I add a T handle that does not spin when at the range. I often have the problem of the Jag coming loose when cleaning which is what got me thinking. When thinking about the bullet and loading it also makes sense.

Are there different versions of these? I only know of the name brand SpinJag.com

Which one do you have?

I always recommend that one use a range rod for all loading at the range, and for cleaning, and only use the ramrod supplied with the rifle for a reload in a hunting situation. I always use a spinjag short starter and always use a spinjag on a range rod for loading at the range but I do not use one for reloading with the rifles ramrod when hunting.

Absolutely. I have spin jags on my range rods, my t-handled bullet starters, and on the original rod that my CVA Accura V2 came with. I put some red Loctite on the spin jag I have on the rod that came with the rifle so it does not come off in the woods. I would suggest getting the knurled one you can load and clean with.

The problem with spin jags is, you will end up wanting more. I have em on most rods now. Even have one I filled with devcon bedding epoxy for the flatnose big lead. I like the original, to use it for swabbing, The newer "loading jag" is smooth sided and wont hold a patch well.

Sometimes it boils down to" can't hurt might help". for the price, worth the gamble. I am a believer, depends on how fussy you are as a shooter/hunter, 100 yard kill shots at deer, forget it, 100 yds target shooting, ??????

My experience has not been good. I cut down an alum rod so that the Spinjag would not stand proud of the barrel and used it on a very tight 54 cal Knight. Bent the rod and the Spinjag is now only a jag. No longer spins.

Bill

Absolutely. I have one on my short starter and range rod. They are really well made and will last forever if you takke care of them. You don't need one if you have a Lehigh range rod with the handle that swivel. I understant they have a new cleaning -loading jag on the market that I want to try as well as their new line of fracturing bullets. Nice guys to work with
I

Back