Is it loaded or not

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
An out of state friend asked if he could put his TC Hawkin on my Gunshow table last month...I did and it sold... $125...then a week later ther buyer brought it back and said he took it to his buddy who was a "BP Expert", and after the expert looked it over, he said that the ramrod was sticking too far out of the muzzle, and that ment the gun was loaded...the buyer wanted his money back...I paid him, and the gun has been sitting in the corner of my garage for 3 weeks.

I was going to get a bullet extractor "Screw", but today I decided to play around a little. I used a patch worm, hoping to scape some lead off the bullet, to cofirm its loaded...nothing...So I took the rifle out back and fired a few caps...no big boom...so I ran some compressed air down the muzzle and it cam out the nipple with force...I plugged the muzzle with a plastic bag, and ran some compressed air through the nipple, and the plastic bag was blown out of the muzzle.

I don't think its loaded...is there something else I should do before test fireing?

I had already given my buddy the $$ so at this point the gun is mine, and I am considering keeping it and selling my CVA hunter bolt with the 2 barrels (45/50) I have never fired it and I like the more traditional TC anyway

Sounds like its not loaded to me too. Remove the nipple then take a ramrod with jag and patch and put the breech end of the barrel in a hot pan of water and work the ramrod into the barrel. If the barrel is clear the hot water will flush in and out and you are good to go.

I personally would keep the TC Hawkin and sell the CVA too!!

Toytruck
Thanks for the tip...I had forgotten about the water sucking trick...I just did it...lots of water movement...so tomorrow at lunch its off to the range...Thanks again

I took the CVA 2 Barrel set to the Gunshow, and it sold, so I will keep the TC Hawking, and by the way it shoots great...I was shooting Buffalo bullets, and Hornady Great Plains...nice groups with the iron sights. Will look foreward to using this fall for bear. Lots more shooting to do, to get ready. Toy Truck, thanks again

Scott

Try this...

You might try using the ramrod as a measuring instrument. Put it down the barrel, mark it's position at the muzzle, and see where the other end is when placed outside the barrel. If it's right at the nipple or vent hole, she ain't loaded. I'm not an "expert", but I use this with my Hunter's Education class all of the time.

Latest posts

Back