Is it worth going black powder on traditional muzzle loaders?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have my old TC Hawken 54 Cal that I haven’t shot in 20 years.
I used to hunt with it using the orange label standard pyrodex at 80 grains and Buffalo 350 conicals.

I was thinking about getting it back out and shooting it again for fun using black powder and patched balls.
Is it worth the effort in your opinions, or just stick to what I know?

I don’t plan to hunt with it. Just plinking here and there.

I had used Pyrodex P for years. I read that it was cleaner burning and had less pressure.

When I moved back to Oregon in 2011, I could not get any decent groups. I switched to Black Powder and they shrank. Before the recent shortages, most clubs had BP they sold to their members so it was easy to obtain. After moving 35 miles north, I'm about 20 mins from the Gun Works Muzzleloading Emporium in Springfield. If BP was hard for me to get, I'd be forced to use the subs.

I did experiment with Triple Seven for a while. It was NOT designed for sidelocks and my results told me so.

To answer the OP's question, I get better accuracy with BP.

Happy Shooting!

Walt

Pyrodex works., I have shot my T/C renegade in 54 cal for years with 80 Grns for plinking all day. If you can BP shoot it... Have fun and fire away

In my area black is nonexistent due to storage regs. Any of the other subs are pretty available. I have to travel over 90 miles to find black powder.

Got some pyrodex when I got my 1858 revolver. When out, I got 3F real black. Prefer shooting the real black. No more or less messy, less instant rust.

May be just my imagination, but comparing results of really old black powder (from the 1960's) that was opened and partially used decades ago and pyrodex RS similarly opened not that long ago, they're not the same. Pyrodex had clumped up, black did not. I shoot 'em both on occasion to use them up.

My flintlocks do not like pyrodex. Old pellets sometimes come out "fizzling". They suck.

I was thinking about getting it back out and shooting it again for fun using black powder and patched balls.
Is it worth the effort in your opinions, or just stick to what I know?
Pyrodex may be cheaper and it appears to be everywhere. Can you get BP in your area? If you can, which brand?

Swiss is the best. It is the most efficient and cleaner burning. Goex isn't back out on the market as yet. I don't know anything about Schuetzen.

Availability and cost may drive your decision.

i use only black powder, i did try some of the others during the shortage last year, schultzin was ok but i tried American pioneer powder and it was really bad, hav enever got to try swiss yet.

Schutzen is good stuff, Grafs house brand is simply rebranded Schutzen, and both have been available with some regularity in all the F grades. Caps are still the big issue.

Back