Is Knight done with muzzleloaders?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did post here about this before.I agree with many of you about the disc elite,and disc extreme.I believe the do everything as good if not better than either the standard Encore or omega. and frankly if I only could have one it would be A disc elite. Even their entry level rifle is a shooter. I DON`T THINK THEY SHOLD TRY TO COMPETE AT THE LOW END.I beleive they should only focus on all the advantages of the disc extreme and ther are many. I`m a muzzleloader junky and I own them all including 7 whites,believe me they have (whites) there own attractions. They need to market there rifles better, and also show the advantages of the DISC.

I think Knight doesn't go "smokeless" because they follow TC and dont even care about Savage because of the low volume of savage compared to knights and tc's. I believe TC doesn't do it for other reasons. TC have other firearms besides muzzleloaders, knight does not.

If Savage did more promotions and advertising about the safety of the smokeless they would bury knight and TC. Or, if Knight went smokeless they would dominate.

I have read about past years when Knight sold 100,000 ML rifles. With that sort of past record, it will be difficult for them to choose to exit the market. Of course, the market has no compunction whatever about ejecting them!

I recently reviewed the last 10 years of Gun Digests looking at the muzzleloading section up front, and the back of the book coverage of manufacturers and their models. A lot of folks are not in the market anymore.

jim

Knight has come out with a new Ml called the KRB7, this is a rolling block design, Its in the bugle magazine.
Redclub

T/C has definatley set the pace for new models,and concepts. The other company's are either trying to copy T/C's guns(read spanish),or trying to pull a rabbit out of the hat, to come up with something competive. I would like to know the "real story" behind the Business Move at Knight! I don't think that the wages for workers in Iowa are any higher than in NH. When I see a company move to get cheaper labor,I loose alot of faith in that company. I'm sure as with most,when the labor wages go down,so will the quality! :(

2002269834525504127_rs.jpg

:wink: :lol:

I disagree about getting rid of all the plunger types... just carry the one model (Wolverine) but with a choice of lengths in the barrel 22" or 26". Provide aftermarket stuff to change to exposed ignition for those states that require it with this model.

Go back to the Elite... offer the Extreme but with the cantilevered lug system. I believe that is why the Elite is so accurate for a single lug gun.

The KRB7 is a much better offering than the Revolting... looks wise. The vision is not so bad but it looks like a shotgun...

I don't mind the FPJ for hunting situations BUT what happens if Knight goes belly up and goes back to regualr igniton systems...

Matt, I think UC is playing with us :p The top one is correct, the bottom 2 is
what they should look like :D
Redclub

This morning's press release announcing S&W's acquisition of T/C also said T/C had over half of the ML business. That leaves the other half for Knight to fish in. ;)

jim

Matt, I think UC is playing with us :p The top one is correct, the bottom 2 is
what they should look like :D
Redclub

HunterJim said:
This morning's press release announcing S&W's acquisition of T/C also said T/C had over half of the ML business. That leaves the other half for Knight to fish in. ;)

jim

Smith and Wesson acquired T/C? There's a good reason not to buy a T/C now.

T/C in the future

I am as concerned as the the rest of us T/C owners as what the future holds as to product quality, service and quality of materials used in the present T/C product line-up.

Gregg Ritz will still run T/C arms. I suspect this sale will provide T/C with an infusion of cash that is needed to continue their expansion of product lines, production capabilty and importantly more market share.

I don't think this sale is a repeat of say pre-64 model 70's or akin to the recent demise of Winchester (made in the USA) guns.

I have to agree with Patrick on some issues and disagree on others. I agree that a venture into the smokeless realm would be great for Knight. The Disc is a great rifle Ive owned 3 of them. The Disc Elite was a great gun. They were definitely on to something with the cantilever lug. I allways felt that bedding issues were a weakness with Knights. Holding the stock to the action at one small lug isnt the best of ideas. I beleive if their guns all had the cantilever or 2 pillars and freefloated barrels they would be even more accurate than they are. I only had one Knight that wasnt what I expected in the accuracy department. As far as getting rid of their plunger guns some states only allow open breech diesigns. They just dont need 2. Discontinuation of the Wolverine in favor of the Bighorn makes sense. Actually the plunger guns have an advantage in one area I feel. It took me a long time to realize this though when my accuracy was falling off with a disc I never thought of changing a breechplug. I one day switched plugs from another gun and the accuracy came back. I change my musket cap on my MK-85 about every100 shots and I allways did that with my sidelocks too. Breech plugs are expensive compared to nipples. Id like to see a vent liner similar to the Savage. Cheap and easy to replace. As far as shooting conicals Knights do shoot them well. My MK-85 will shoot 460 gr NO -Excuses about as well as my White 98. And I know people who have good luck with their Bighorns too. Fittting a conical to the bore is the key.
Knight should concentrate on their Disc as their premier gun. I dont believe the discs are a handicapp at all like some advertisers. Just improve it. a smokeless disc could bring them right back. T/c cant compare their triggers with Knights. They should play to their strengths and improve what they have. they should stop trying to copy TC and drop that Revolution and Vision.
My next muzzleloader will be smokeless.
Just my 2 cents.

No, but I kind of wish I had got one of those instead of the Genesis. The Mustang looks a lot more substantial. I just wonder how durable that stock finish would be on the Mustang. Pretty decent looking rifle except Investarms lost all sense of proportion on that bulky looking trigger guard.

I have looked at and actually held 2 different Mustangs and they were soooo inconsistent as far as quality is concerned. Also the trigger on one was HORRIBLE and the trigger on the other was very acceptable. I would never consider purchasing one of these without being able to hold it and examine it first hand. I posted in the past regarding this gun.

My fist post read:

I have been fascinated by this break action rifle. I made some phone calls one of which was to Lyman.
They are sending me a catalog, and an owners manual for this gun.
The local dealer says Lyman has a good record of customer service. That said the warranty on this gun is 1 year.
He will order me one for $300
Midsouth has them for $285
MSRP is $449

In talking to Lyman customer service department I learned:
Blued barrel only
209 Ignition
fiber optic sights
wood ram rod ( I'd have to change that.)
Euopean Walnut stock
break action hammerless design
Recoil pad
1:28 twist
28" barrel
sling studs
removable breech
Questions remain on the trigger, adjustable or not?
Drilled and tapped.

I will share the owners manual when it comes.

My second post read:

Our local shop ordered one in for me and when it cam I baulked at the purchase. It is still sitting on the rack.

It is VERY nice looking....

No UC, they made no provision for cleaning the action, however unlike the Encore's action, when broke open the face of the action is right there and can be wiped clean.

The fancy wood grain appears to be the actual wood itself as opposed to a wood grain "finish".

The ramrod is wood
Sad

The break open lever must be moved to the right and then with a MIGHTY extra push you cock the action and the action opens. Now this is hard to do and unless you have a great grip and a VERY strong thumb you like me won't get the job done.

I found that with the right technique it can be done with little effort. Instead of trying to cock and open the action using the right thumb (I'm left handed), keep the gun in the right hand, with your left hand, cross over and PUSH the lever to the right. At the same time jerk upwards slightly and the action drops open. I found this method to work GREAT.

The trigger on this gun is BAD, and non ajustable. Lots of take-up and creep. Seems to be about 4#. The gunsmith said he would have to look at it, but thought he could fix it.

I have looked at this gun 3 or 4 times and the trigger stops me every time. Confused

Someone braver than I (or certainly with more money) should buy one and give us a report on it. Come on Chuck get off that wallet again! :lol:

Latest posts

Back