Is my ramrod too long?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohihunter2014

Reaction score
I dont know if CVA didnt give me back my ramrod or if I lost the thing when I sent it in for repair but I cannot find it anywhere. I did find some old ramrods I picked up from flea markets and stuff and this one is the only one that isnt too short but my concern is its too long.

Attachments

• muzzy.jpg
    muzzy.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 40
Could always try a shorter loading tip to see if that'll help. A little hard to tell in the pic if the rod has a brass end and then a "long" loading tip is screwed in to it. Spinjag makes some nice short ones.

I prefer flush personally, less chance of it getting snagged on stuff and it won't get all sooted up when you shoot. But it won't cause any problems. My buddy his rod looks just like yours for years.

I need a new one, I use SpinJag GI Ramrods. They will cut to exact correct size including a spinjag on it.

Some rifles you can cut the other end, some you cannot (the other end latches the rod in).

Get a foldable ramrod from Arrowhead Rifles and you will not have to worry about it.
They run about 76 dollars the last time I checked.
I thought about going that route when I bought my Arrowhead Encore barrel, but I figured it would just be something else to keep up with and possibly lose.

I thought about going that route when I bought my Arrowhead Encore barrel, but I figured it would just be something else to keep up with and possibly lose.

The ramrod from Arrowhead comes with a sheath, that has a beltloop on it.

I carry mine in the bag shown below, which holds my reloads, tools, etc..
In the old days the mountain men often carried a similar bag made of leather.

Attachments

• muzzleloader bag.jpg
    muzzleloader bag.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 10
The ramrod from Arrowhead comes with a sheath, that has a beltloop on it.

I carry mine in the bag shown below, which holds my reloads, tools, etc..
In the old days the mountain men often carried a similar bag made of leather.
I carry a “possibles” bag too, but no matter how unlikely, I still have the fear of getting to my stand and not having something important like my ramrod.🤷‍♂️

I personally couldn’t live with that, mine are all flush, or slightly under. NONE of mine extend past the end of the Barrel like that.

When a Bullet exits the Bore there is a Circular Gas wave with it, As the bullet has to pass over that extended Rod, the Wave is obviously interrupted, Could that make a difference? I don’t know? I’m not gonna experiment and find out. That’s my way of thinking anyway. If i missed a Shot? Or Shot a Bad Group? That would be the reason in my mind! :) By cutting the Rod back to Flush, or just Slightly under, If i missed, or Shot a Bad Group? I would have to come up with some other Excuse as to why? 😁
xvExWaR.jpg

5ysXoUl.jpg

I personally couldn’t live with that, mine are all flush, or slightly under. NONE of mine extend past the end of the Barrel like that.

When a Bullet exits the Bore there is a Circular Gas wave with it, As the bullet has to pass over that extended Rod, the Wave is obviously interrupted, Could that make a difference? I don’t know? I’m not gonna experiment and find out. That’s my way of thinking anyway. If i missed a Shot? Or Shot a Bad Group? That would be the reason in my mind! :) By cutting the Rod back to Flush, or just Slightly under, If i missed, or Shot a Bad Group? I would have to come up with some other Excuse as to why? 😁
xvExWaR.jpg

5ysXoUl.jpg

Being a bench rest shooter in the past, I have often wondered if a ramrod could put a little pressure on the end of the barrel and cause a slight deflection?

When shooting my muzzleloaders from the bench for accuracy I usually remove the ramrod, just in case.

I dont know if CVA didnt give me back my ramrod or if I lost the thing when I sent it in for repair but I cannot find it anywhere. I did find some old ramrods I picked up from flea markets and stuff and this one is the only one that isnt too short but my concern is its too long.
It is about right but you could take enough off to get back even with barrel to prevent it from being smoked up from the blast. That is only issue I see.

Not a CVA, but you can clearly see my Barnes loading jag sticking beyond the end of the barrel.

It did absolutely nothing negative with the way the rifle shot and out to 200yds.

Every Encore platform rifle I've owned the rod was identical to this photo.
If someone doesn't like the way it looks, that's ok, get a shorter rod.
This rifle shot lights out.

Wish I had that rifle back.

Encore Pro Hunter.JPG

Latest posts

Back