Is the .54 going the way of the DoDo Bird?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I see that Hornady has stopped making the Great Plains bullets for the .54 and the supplies seem to all be for the .45 and .50 cals. The only places I could find bullets was on the secondary markets, GB and such and from makers like No Excuses and such...

So is the .54 on the way out?

I see that Hornady has stopped making the Great Plains bullets for the .54 and the supplies seem to all be for the .45 and .50 cals. The only places I could find bullets was on the secondary markets, GB and such and from makers like No Excuses and such...

I'm guessing demand is down ?

Not according to my wallet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!/Ed

I like to shoot it open sighted in an inline. There are some good .50 bullets out there and MMP still makes the purple. 50/.54 sabot.

I myself have 2 new boxes of the now discontinued No Excuses 535 grain bullets for my .54 uses. But I sold off my Great Plains and the TC Maxi Hunters...I may regret that.

I may have to give the No Excuses 525 replacement bullets...I am sure they will be fantastic as are all of his offerings.

I'm liking my 45s more and more. But when I want to go with the big bore I bypass the 54 and go straight to the 58. I have 2 renegade stocked 58s. One is a caplock with a Green Mountain barrel and the other is a custom flintlock barrel by Bob Hoyt. They are both great shooters with 110 gr of FFg and a PRB with pillow tick and olive oil patch lube. Oh yeah and they make a real big hole!

I do not think it is a high choice for most anymore.

I started muzzle loading with a T/C Renegade in .54. I've stuck with the .54 for most all of my deer hunting. If you mold your own round balls and maxi-balls you are good to go. I won't stop shooting the .54 as long as they keep making lead.

When Hornady stopped making the Great Plains in .54, I was seriously bummed. That bullet was just the best thing in all of my rifles. I have fallen back to maxi-balls for hunting deer. They have always done the job well.

If I wanted to shoot a .54, and I don’t, I’d be buying molds. I don’t think it’s ever been particularly popular and it’s only decreasing and I don’t see that turning around.

A patched ball in .54 caliber, or larger, will put the hammer down on any of the following big game species.

Whitetail deer, Columbian whitetail deer, Coues deer, Key deer, Rocky Mountain mule deer, desert mule deer, peninsular mule deer, California mule deer, Southern mule deer, Sitka black-tailed deer, Columbian black-tailed deer, Sika deer, antelope, Rocky Mountain goat, Rocky Mountain sheep, desert sheep, Dall sheep, stone sheep, Shiras moose, Eastern Canada moose, Western Canada moose, Alaska-Yukon moose, caribou, Roosevelt elk, Merriam's elk, Rocky Mountain elk, Tule elk, Manitoban elk, Eastern elk, mountain lion, grey wolf, coyote, musk ox, and plains bison. I don't know if the Woods bison is a huntable species.

Back when I was into sidelocks, minnie balls shot the most accurate in both a .58 Zouave and a .54
Trade Rifle. Seems like the molds were made by Lyman. Also seems like someone had come up with
a tool for making hollow points.

I started muzzle loading with a T/C Renegade in .54. I've stuck with the .54 for most all of my deer hunting. If you mold your own round balls and maxi-balls you are good to go. I won't stop shooting the .54 as long as they keep making lead.

When Hornady stopped making the Great Plains in .54, I was seriously bummed. That bullet was just the best thing in all of my rifles. I have fallen back to maxi-balls for hunting deer. They have always done the job well.

A patched ball in .54 caliber, or larger, will put the hammer down on any of the following big game species.

Whitetail deer, Columbian whitetail deer, Coues deer, Key deer, Rocky Mountain mule deer, desert mule deer, peninsular mule deer, California mule deer, Southern mule deer, Sitka black-tailed deer, Columbian black-tailed deer, Sika deer, antelope, Rocky Mountain goat, Rocky Mountain sheep, desert sheep, Dall sheep, stone sheep, Shiras moose, Eastern Canada moose, Western Canada moose, Alaska-Yukon moose, caribou, Roosevelt elk, Merriam's elk, Rocky Mountain elk, Tule elk, Manitoban elk, Eastern elk, mountain lion, grey wolf, coyote, musk ox, and plains bison. I don't know if the Woods bison is a huntable species.
Yeah probably so. 99% of the hunters in America hunt deer and not much else.

Latest posts

Back