Is there a Difference - Scopes?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick1

Reaction score
I had a question from somebody and I thought I would do a post on my blog about it but I wanted to get some good input from you guys as you all would know better than anyone else.

So do you care to give your input?

Is there a Difference between Rifle Scopes and Muzzleloader Scopes? And if so what are the Differences.

Rick,

My quick answer...NO. A centerfire and a muzzleloader are both "rifles".

Scopes with their reticle specially designed for muzzleloader trajectory ( like the Bushnell DOA 250 ) definitely have a big advantage for shooting beyond 100 yards with a muzzleloader. I have that particular Bushell mounted on my "long range" smoker, but my .45 CVA Apex (which is my primary hunting smoker) has a typical "rifle" scope on it with duplex crosshairs.

Scopes that are labeled "muzzleloader" are usually lower power variables for obvious reason, but may also be beefed-up to handle higher recoil.

Many accuracy problems are not due to the rifle or load, but improper scope mounting or using cheap mounts. As far as quality goes, you get what you pay for. A cheap or economy scope can cost you a trophy, and it's a very hard lesson to live with considering you may only get one chance in your lifetime. My advice is to spend as much as you can on a scope. The scope market is very competitive, and the price generally reflects the features.

Its simple, In todays market, anything with the Muzzle Loader Badge applied to it, normally sells faster than a normal rifle scope. Why? because people hold back from buying because they don't know if there is a difference between the two.

FrontierGander said:
Its simple, In todays market, anything with the Muzzle Loader Badge applied to it, normally sells faster than a normal rifle scope. Why? because people hold back from buying because they don't know if there is a difference between the two.
FG, I think you hit the head of the nail on that comment and that is why I am doing this blog post.

Marty, thanks for your input and when it comes to scope mounts I agree you need to have a good mount and it does need to be installed properly.

I'm not sure if i mentioned this in the question but I plan to put your comments and the forum in the post so they know where this very good input came from.

Marty said:
Rick,

Scopes with their reticle specially designed for muzzleloader trajectory ( like the Bushnell DOA 250 ) defintely have a big advantage for shooting beyond 100 yards with a muzzleloader.
This is the only reason I went with a "Muzzleloading" scope. I was always told that a mz bullet will start to "drop out of the sky" beyond 100 yards....so I went with a scope that can help me accommodate the bullet drop for a mz. Otherwise, I was probably just going to buy a redfield scope or nikon. I have been very pleased with my Bushnell DOA 250 and I'll see how it performs in the field in exactly 1 week!

Latest posts

Back