Is this normal?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntaway

Reaction score
I've been shooting a Lyman GPR Flintlock .50 for a short time now. I'm relativley new to flintlocks and was wondering if this is normal.
My first shot out of a clean barrel always seems to be high left.
If this is normal would I be ok to hunt with a fouled barrel and clean in the evening?
Thanks,

107-0713_IMG.jpg
[/url]

1st shot from a clean, cold barrel is generally somewhat removed from the subsequent shots. Some rifles show this more than others but, yes, it's perfectly normal.

You can hunt a fouled barrel just fine and should suffer no ill-effects so long as you clean daily. With some powders you can get away with a few days hunting on the single fouling before cleaning is necessary, but always with an element of risk. There are those that go so far as to do a total cleaning between range shots so they can hunt with a clean barrel.

And there are alternatives to the fouling shot. Some try various means to simulate the barrel fouliing... a small amount of Teflon tape wrap, newspaper wrap, cornmeal buffers, etc - but it isn't THAT big a deal to just hunt fouled in most cases.

Smokeless owners... yeah, yeah, yeah... :wink:

:?: I haven't seen that smoke less flint lock. :lol: :lol: Post a link to the web site if there is such an animal.

:D Al

alleyyooper said:
:?: I haven't seen that smoke less flint lock. :lol: :lol: Post a link to the web site if there is such an animal.

No such thing.. :D

:) Nice looking rifle design but I don't think ya :? could get enough swing to lite off the 209 primer.
:lol: :lol: Cost must be a whew factor since they don't post it.

Anyone can shoot an inline smokeless or otherwise. :wink:
They're TOO easy, I need a little challenge in my life. :lol

Back