It appears that a little.....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpsman

Reaction score
sight movement is going to be the order of the day! Shot these this AM and had a 8=12 MPH wind from 9 o/clock and was holding at center of bull with the .50 flinter. If anything.....hits should have been slightly right rather than at the 9 o/clock position. I had to recall my 'hold' with this rifle as I've been shooting the Caplock and this one is slightly different as the first shot went low. It pretty well stacked the 5 in bull though. Will go back in a bit and move the sight to correct. :cheers:

34606531511_5be1c83b13_c.jpg
.50 Watson Flintlock@ 50 yards. by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Is the front sight silver or brass by chance?  If so, bright sunlight from the side can cause side-to-side group movement, too.  If yours is silver or brass, I'd sure blacken it and try again before moving it.

BrownBear said:
Is the front sight silver or brass by chance?  If so, bright sunlight from the side can cause side-to-side group movement, too.  If yours is silver or brass, I'd sure blacken it and try again before moving it.
I always blacken the sights before I shoot. :D

Bear Claw said:
Good group.  Now you can move out farther than 10yds.  :rendeer:
It got corrected this morning! Tapped the rear sight to the right slightly and fired five more rounds. Now...with the same 8-12 mph wind from 9 o/clock it's shooting where it should be with left wind!

Muley.....50 yards stead of 10! :Salute:
34606531511_5be1c83b13_z.jpg
.50 Watson Flintlock@ 50 yards. by Sharps Man, on Flickr :Red tup:

This flinter Tom Watson built has got one smooooooothhh barrel! It consistently amazes me at the accuracy it delivers! :cheers:

Bear Claw said:
How's the group look offhand?
I quit shooting offhand when I won the Texas State Championship in NRA HP! That was a few years ago!

And now.....I shoot nothing offhand!

A 77 year old body talks to you!! :affraid:

Bear Claw said:
I'll still be shooting offhand in 3 years.  :rabbit:
Oh...I CAN shoot offhand but when I'm hunting I'm going to shoot off a rest! I don't roam like you do....never have! I find a good place and I sit myself down. There's always something to shoot off of whether it's a tree or the edge of a ground blind! I have LOTS of patience and somehow the game always manages to find me! :D

Like this one did:
27437557310_d1178a90ab_b.jpg
Kanbrute by Sharps Man, on Flickr

I tried it a couple of times, but I fall asleep. I keep moving to stay awake.  :D

falcon said:
Wow, what a set of antlers.
Sad to say....the fellow that owns this property (my son) didn't believe a PRB would put a nice buck down and he asked that I use my CF rifle!

Lord willing....I'll go back with the Hawken and prove to him...it will do the job! :cheers:

Many consider the breech loading Sharps blackpowder guns (updated muzzleloaders), the cartridge guns are up in the air with some guys sticking to the original loads of black powder while others use modern powders. These three animals were all shot with Goex 3FFF loads at distances of 65 yards to the big Sharps making a killing shot at 155 yards.

buffalo.sharps.jpg
40/70 2-1/10 bottle necked .400 grain. 1.200 lb. bull - Wallace KS.​
buffalo.sharps1.jpg
50/110 .510 grain. 1.400 lb. bull - Wallace KS.​
hook3.jpg
45/90 .420 grain. 1.100 lb. bull - Wallace KS.

Here what we have been watching for two seasons and found these two are pretty good at hiding after the first shot is heard. Taken with an old noisy game camera that only got one picture per animal.

img4.jpg
img2.gif
One friend took all his vacation last year dreaming of filling both tags, he got skunked on both of these guys. :(  :cry:  :roll:  I was happy he didn't get either one, I know that's rotten, but he always gets good animals. Time to humble him.... :tongue:

Back