Why I hate muzzleloaders!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This hatred started way back in 1973 when I borrowed my cousin's .45 caliber flintlock to hunt the first PA primitive season. Hunting in a foot of snow the first day of the season I had to go and shoot a fat little 6 pt. Being newly married with a mortgage and other bills I was able to scrape up enough money to buy a T/C Hawken .50 cal flintlock kit and used that for several years. Then, well you know, I had to get a caplock. It was a brand spanking new Seneca in .45.. Don't know why but I traded that in on a .50 Hawken caplock. Over the next few years I had bought additional flinters and caplocks, bullets, balls, powders and all the other stuff that goes along with shooting these smokepoles.
Well that wasn't enough...Knight came out with the inline muzzleloader. I restrained myself for several years but the addiction was taking its toll on my mind. I waited and waited and succumbed to buying a CVA Optima. Put a scope on it and had to buy these sabots and bullets for it! My range increased and I had shot a few deer with it but still used my sidelocks. The inline was a novelty for me. Additional muzzleloaders came and went (mostly came). My addiction was getting out of control. Having a better job and no mortgage I had more money to blow on them. I got a CVA Accura V2 which could, and still does, shoot the gnats off a flies butt. But that wasn't the end. I picked up a couple Knights with my latest being a Moutaineer, a couple Senecas, Lyman GPRs, T/C Renegades, bought Green Mountain barrels and even had a couple barrels made by Bobby Hoyt. And now my latest acquisition is my CVA Scout converted to smokeless by Hankins Precision Rifles. Between the Moutaineer and the Scout I've spent several hundred $$ on bullets until I found what they liked. I usually spend a couple days a week at the range - at least one day getting my fix on.
I'm hoping my addiction will soon subside. I don't know how much my wallet can take. I would come to one of you guys for help but I'm of the opinion that most of you are in the same boat.

The first step is admitting to your addiction. The bad news is there is no cure. The really bad news is that it seems like everybody on this forum are enablers that promote this horrible addiction.
I don't think enablers is the correct term. I believe they should be called pushers!

Hi. My name is Mark and I'm addicted to muzzleloaders.
Hi Mark...
There's a line in Diana Ross' song " Love Hangover" that applies.
" If there's a cure for this, I don't want it. Dont want it. If there's a remedy, I'll run from it"
LORD help such as we...
Pushers? No. Rammers is better. We are talking muzzleloaders.

The first step is admitting to your addiction. The bad news is there is no cure. The really bad news is that it seems like everybody on this forum are enablers that promote this horrible addiction.
Oh there's a cure alright. They'll throw a big party for you when you're cured and sing a verse or two of Amazing Grace.

Last edited:
Man, thanks for the comments I thought I was the only one.... Bronko Followed your steps almost exactly Started 1972 discovered N-SSA then into PA. flintlock borrowed guns to owning my own. Move from PA to VA. hade to have percussion cap guns they were legal there to hunt with. Jumped on Knight in lines about 1990. uses everything from RB to hand cast conical in them all. Then switched to sabots with pistol bullets. Had Jeff convert one of my KP1 from 45/70 to SML finally after trying about 20/30 different bullets in it have decided really like Barnes solid copper with a knurl. Last 6 shots out of it this year put 6 deer in freezer. And my latest thing is restoring and using original 12ga. double barrel muzzleloader shotguns. Have 6 of them now. But who is counting.

Latest posts

Back