Why I hate muzzleloaders!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, I have a problem. Anything that has a trigger and goes bang is a problem for me now. Muzzleloaders do that.

It wasn't always that way. I was a die hard bow hunter in the late 80s thru 2010. I would sling arrows when I got up before work, and before I went to bed. Hunted almost every day of bow season. Was more accurate with a bow than my slug gun. A shoulder injury in 2010 ended that love affair. After archery was firearms season. My 870 pump evolved from a pattern maker to a group maker with a rifled barrel and a scope. I HATED slugs even the saboted ones. My freebie muzzleloader, (A traditions in line) stepped in to the picture in and I found an outlet for my archery craving. I also put the 870 in the cabinet. That traditions muzzleloader put many deer in the freezer. I really didn't work with it. It was accurate and I found a bullet to do the job. It shot out to 100 yds in groups around 2"-3". NY extended deer season a couple of years ago. This past fall the kids said they wanted to hunt with black powder. I purchased an Encore barrel for my frame and readied the Traditions and an old Hawkins 45 cal. My oldest son hunted every day during the BP season and used my Encore on the day he took his doe. He just bought a Encore barrel which yours truly has to get ready for next season. Since last August we have probably fired 200 black powder shots. My neighbor even commented on the sulphur smell last fall. It got the bug going in me for the ballistic fix.

I am an avid reloader and enjoy searching for that perfect load for a specific firearm. I hunt predators in the off season. My current reloading experiment is a 20 caliber called a 20 tactical. It spits a 32 gr pill out at 3700fps. Deadly on Fox & coyotes.

This is leading my into the smokeless muzzleloader realm one of these days. I can feel the gravity pulling me in. I am looking in the gun safe and thinking which one of you is going to fund this next project.

I retired 5 years ago and can say it's the best job I ever had. I wake up in the morning and have to decide which gun I am going to shoot today.

When my wife use to complain about spending money for guns I asked her when you get your nails & hair done how much does it cost . she told me $155.00 & I said how often do you get it done & she said every two weeks . So I did the math & it came to $4030.00 a year & I said Muzzle loader only cost $530.00 & I still have it ! Enough said !

Many bad things one can spend $$$ on

Say Blackpowder 3 times and you will be ok..

50 years ago I bought a T/C Hawken. Today I have 20 T/C rifles hanging on the wall with many different models.
I am always looking for a model I don't have. Someday I will tip over and they can all go to other addicts.

I collect them because I want to and I enjoy it. . Life is short. Have fun along the way because you never know when it will be over.

50 years ago I bought a T/C Hawken. Today I have 20 T/C rifles hanging on the wall with many different models.
I am always looking for a model I don't have. Someday I will tip over and they can all go to other addicts.

I collect them because I want to and I enjoy it. . Life is short. Have fun along the way because you never know when it will be over.
Kedsfan put me in your will. PM me for my personal info....LOL

Kedsfan put me in your will. PM me for my personal info....LOL
I have been thinking about this more often these days. I been a collector all my life. Tool, antiques, things that go boom, etc. I don't want someone to sell all my stuff when they don't have a clue what they are looking at. I think it is a good idea to mention this site in my will. The same with other groups I frequent to share my collecting addictions.

But when people ask why I collect this junk I say I am not an addict. I say I am merely gathering items for my eventual estate sale. I want to have some cool stuff that would appeal to my fellow addicts.

I have been thinking about this more often these days. I been a collector all my life. Tool, antiques, things that go boom, etc. I don't want someone to sell all my stuff when they don't have a clue what they are looking at. I think it is a good idea to mention this site in my will. The same with other groups I frequent to share my collecting addictions.

But when people ask why I collect this junk I say I am not an addict. I say I am merely gathering items for my eventual estate sale. I want to have some cool stuff that would appeal to my fellow addicts.
I get that 100%! I want the things I leave behind to go to those who will love them and USE them like I do!!

I have managed to kick my addiction. At one-point I had 30 or so here at the house and have owned probably 100 or so. I am now down to two and those need to go along with all the BS that go along with them. Sometimes you just lose interest.
That happens with hobbies sometimes. It certainly has happened to me. Move on and find something you enjoy.

Back