JB BORE paste

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with this stuff? Suppose to smooth up the bore for less fouling easier loading better accuracy. How is it used?

never used that, but I have used lapping compound on a few guns. just wet a patch and pump in and out 100 times, repeat a few times and clean

Squeeze
Did you notes and see a difference in after using this lapping compound

well, yes, but those times was on used gun with slightly neglected barrels ( decent guns and a good deal because of some rust) the few times there was a noticable improvement, especially with the "feel" as you push a bullet downbore all the guns still were shooters. probably most of which I ended up giving to friends or youths in need of a muzzy. I know I still have a .45 cherokee this was done to. Some swear by the "seasoning" a new gun theory, some swear against. I never bothered to try with a new gun. to me its mostly a sales spiel. the theory is like breaking in a new cast iron pan. to smooth and buff the pores in the metal to a high sheen. I think any quality machining should be adequately finished to just shoot the break in with a good cleaning regimen. Ive seen some pretty poor looking and centuries old guns that were still fine shooters. and ive seen some relatively new neglected guns that were just destined to be tomato stakes at best. the shooting residue is just very detrimental to the metals. same day cleaning is just a "must do" habit to get into. smokeless can vary a lot more, but anything black or subs needs immediate attention. I think the JB may have shown improvement for a lot of guys, but a lot of that was just a good cleaning was necessary. (plastic fouling issues from rapid fire warm barrel shooting, crud ring, and/or previous poor cleaning regimen..etc) mostly just a decent cleaning habit, and occasional brass, or nylon brushing is all thats required. some guys swear by the JB, some swear against it, claiming IT was the cause of a crud in barrel buildup. I dont see it as necessary, just another product the manufacturer claims is the new wonder fixall elixer.

It's not hype - it's works. It will clean your bore and smooth it out. Make it blinding bright inside.... :wink:

I use it on all new MLs, shotguns and centerfires. It attacks the factory packing grease. I use it after a couple hundred rounds of sabots. It removes plastic in the grooves, carbon and lead buildup. I use Barnes CR-10 once a year for copper buildup.

Figure 5-10 laps per patch. Then two patches of gun oil - then two dry patches (all with brass bore brush). Works fastest when the barrel has been shot multiple times and is warm. No way to tell how many laps you will need. Everyone is different.

A thin coat on patches is all that's required with brass bore brush.

The way I use it is ... clean your rifle first, then oil the bore of the rifle. Then with a very tight fitting patch, smear it in the bore paste. Then work that paste patch down and up, down and up. Each patch I do between fifteen and twenty strokes. The patch will come out filthy but that is good. I like to do about 40 strokes or more. A stroke is down and up is one.

After you have pasted the bore, take some patches with solvent and start scrubbing the paste out of the bore. When you think you are getting it clean, run a bore brush through the barrel a couple times and then more solvent patches. Finish the bore with dry patches until they are clean, and then a good coating of oil in the bore.

No JB Bore Paste will not remove metal like other compounds. But it will remove copper, lead, plastic and smooth out the bore it seems. Good stuff IMO.

:yeah:
I agree with Dave. I've used it on my new MR. I cleaned my rifle and then tried a few different bullets and sabots that go down my other MR without any trouble. Some went down the new MR and some didn't. I then followed the directions and wrapped a patch around a brush and gave my bore 50/60 strokes. ( The patches will turn black. IT'S OK. They are supposed to ). I then cleaned the rifle and shot about 30 rounds at the range. I cleaned it and tried the bullets and sabots that didn't fit. I cut the bunch down to 2 or 3 so I gave the MR 25 more strokes with the JB BORE Paste. Now they all go down without a hassle but yet they are snug.

Ray........... :yeah:

I use it on every rifle I purchase to remove stubborn fouling(especially plastic fouling in rifled shotguns/MZ's). I do similar to cayuga, by cleaning with MC-7 solvent/brushes and patches. Once I've gotten it clean, I use an ultra tight fitting patch over a jag and cover with JB. I place muzzle against rag on floor to prevent the jag from exiting and crown wear and give it 5 strokes up/down and replace the JB. I complete about 25 strokes total. Then I run Hot water down the barrel to ensure its all out, and clean again with solvent.

Most sabots are made from polyethylene plastic. and nothing will dissolve it. there are many things that will aid in its release. But it really comes back to just needing a good cleaning. hoppes or ballistol and a brass brush will pull the plastic fouling just as well. Sure it may be a decent cleanser, but so are many things. and I dont believe it removes metal. or to any degree to open a bore past what any thorough cleaning will do. I dont believe it strength is in the way its advertised. It does help in certain circumstances, but so would any number of other products designed for cleaning.

Tech person at Brownells said to use bore cleaning compound with kroil and bore pellets. Soak two pellets with kroil coat with compound.push through bore from breach to muzzle. Take rod out through breach reload pellets and repeat.

Tried the JB on a Savage ML with a barrel that was rough as a cob. The barrel looked a little better, but the rifle was still a pos, so I sold to a guy that wanted the action. I've owned 5-6 Knight rifles and have never seen the need for JB. Butch's bore shine on a patched brush works for me.

tpcollins said:
I've done this boiling water/JB Bore paste procedure to every rifle I've gotten for the last 10 years or so. Not really sure if it works but they all shoot really well - it does make sense though.

http://centerfirecentral.com/lapbore1.htm

This pretty much the procedure I've used but I clean with solvent like normal at first to get most of the nasty stuff out. Instead of boiling water I just use the hottest water that comes out of my kitchen sink(wife loves that) with the extension nozzle to flush all the JB out once I'm done.

I do this with every new gun as well as used gun I purchase. It makes a huge difference for accuracy especially in rifled barrel shotguns, MZ's and shallow grooved rifled guns (AKA microgroove rifles/ rifled shotgun barrels) barrels which have had this fouling build up. Used MZ's are notorious for being neglected with poor cleaning and almost everyone I've bought has had residual plastic fouling there.

I agree with the post that no bore cleaners eat/dissolve plastic(or they wouldn't be in plastic bottles), but I can say first hand that the MC 7 does the best job of loosening it up so that it comes out in strands with a bronze brush vs anything else I've tried.

I've had plastic fouling so bad after shooting shotgun sabots that I've had to use copper(100% copper)kitchen pads on end of a jagged solid ram rod (after soaking in MC 7 or WD-40 all day) and it comes out in foot long "strands" like cellophane noodles...

Another product which is similar to JB is Rem's 40X cleaner. It is a very fine oily abrasive and I use it here and there as a normal cleaning solvent to "refresh" a bore without the mess/process of JB paste and need to flush etc.

Never used it on an inline, but I do use it on sidelocks. It smooths out the bore from cutting the patch. Also makes loading easier.

100 rounds would probably do the same thing, but JB is faster/cheaper.

Not too much to add that hasn't been said already. I did use some on a factory TC Pro Hunter barrel, basically the same process that's been described here, and had positive results. The big thing is if you expect it to give your bore a polished mirror finish, you'll be disappointed. If you're looking for it to smooth it up a little and give it a more uniform feel to loading and cleaning, it works well.

Also, not sure about all of them, but I picked mine up at the closest Scheels. Saved shipping charges.

cljohnson24 said:
tpcollins said:
I've done this boiling water/JB Bore paste procedure to every rifle I've gotten for the last 10 years or so. Not really sure if it works but they all shoot really well - it does make sense though.

http://centerfirecentral.com/lapbore1.htm

This pretty much the procedure I've used but I clean with solvent like normal at first to get most of the nasty stuff out. Instead of boiling water I just use the hottest water that comes out of my kitchen sink(wife loves that) with the extension nozzle to flush all the JB out once I'm done.

I believe the author Jim Schults knows more about improving accuracy than I do. If he says to start the procedure with boiling water, I start the procedure with boiling water.

Latest posts

Back