JC's Winchester XP3 Slug Review on MikeHanbeck.com

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcchartboy

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

As a few of you guys know I occasionally write articles for other sites. (Both Hunting and Financial related).

This is the second article that I have written with Mike. The last was written when he was still blogging for Outdoor Life and was a review of the available Bolt-Action slug guns on the market.

I always enjoy writting these types of reviews and would like to send a big thanks out to Mike once again for helping me to share the info... :yeah:

JC

http://www.mikehanback.com/

Field Test: Winchester XP3 Slug
NJ slug gun expert Jeff Herrmann sent this report:

xp3_slug_3.jpg

Hey Mike: I tested Winchester?s new 12-ga. XP3 slug in prep for a hunt in Brown Co., Illinois last fall. This trip was special because my girlfriend and hunting partner, Melisa, would join me.

Melisa was shooting my Savage 210, which is capable of 2-inch, 3-shot groups at 100 yards with quality ammo under optimal range conditions. I was amazed when my first 3-shot test group with the XP3s came in at 2.25?, despite the windy conditions. Subsequent groups were impressive, and we did no cherry picking to achieve good group size. I am confident we could have shot 1-inch-plus groups with the XP3s if we had really tried to ring the accuracy out of them.

Equally amazing was the consistency of the velocity; the velocities of those first 3 shots were less than 10 fps apart! The slugs averaged 1,860 fps in the Savage?s 24-inch barrel.

Melisa decided to shoot a 5-shot group, which came in under 2.5?. She was really surprised by the lack of recoil. Given the excellent accuracy and low recoil of the XP3s, Mel was fired up to try them out on a big IL buck.

win_xp3_slug_review_melissajeff_w_3.jpg

I had located a nice 8-pointer with a G-2 sticker. I hunted him for 2 days and saw him twice, but never got a shot. With a day left in the first 3-day slug season I convinced Melisa to join me in trying to tag this buck. Well, a half-hour after daylight she shot him! The buck ran 45 yards and expired. The XP3 performed beautifully, smashing through the ribs, taking out the lungs and passing through the ribs on the offside.

On the range and in the woods, the XP3s get a big thumbs-up from us. Thanks, Jeff and Melisa

Jeff, thanks for the great report, today?s ammo technology continues to improve each year.

Melisa, great job shooting Jeff?s 8-pointer, fine-looking buck, way to go girl!

Hey--thanks for the report and I'm glad you folks had a great hunt. Is Winchester doing a 20ga XP3 load yet?

When I shoot up the last of my 3" Federal/Barnes 3/4oz Expanders I will be looking for a new slug load for my 20 ga 870.

n8dawg6 said:
JC any way to link to the review of slug guns you mentioned?

Hey N8,

Mike started his own blog after leaving the "Big Buck Zone" blog he had started for Outdoor Life. I went back to see if the old piece was still on the OL site and it appears that it is no longer being archived.

Once I get on my other computer I can see if I still have my work papers from when I wrote the article. If I can find them I will Pm you a copy of what I have.

On a separate note, it looks like Mike is trying to put together a strong business move for himself with the introduction of his new blog site. From the sounds of things I believe he will be developing it into a dedicated full featured whitetail site over the next year.

Having spoken with Mike a number of times over the past few years I can tell you he is the real deal. If he is successful in his goal of building his site in the manner in which runs his hunting life it should be a truly great resource for everyone.

JC

Great report JC!
I shot the new Winchester slug at SHOT and they are claiming 2100fps for it but it was out of a long tube. Here is something cool I shot also these are from Lightfield. They are color coded for velocity starting at the orange 1300fps, 1700fps and 1900 fps out of a 24 inch barrel. The really cool part is how close to the same POI they shoot. The target below is one of each speed shot by me at 100 yards. I know I could have shot a target that would have made you blink if I'd have had my Encore with a slug barrel on it.
Shot-show-2008-3-12-loads.jpg

Shot-show-2008-3-12-loads-target.jpg

Wow Omega,

That is incredible!....How does that work out? It seems almost impossible to have that great of a velocity spread, all else being equal, and having the same POI. Is there some other difference between the three slugs besides velocity?

JC

Jeff,,,,I appreciate your reports on slug guns. I've just started experimenting with my Savage 210 I bought almost 2 years ago. Your reports have definately saved me some time. :wink: Thanks!

Batchief909 said:
Jeff,,,,I appreciate your reports on slug guns. I've just started experimenting with my Savage 210 I bought almost 2 years ago. Your reports have definately saved me some time. :wink: Thanks!

Thanks Batch,

That is great to hear. After learning so much from other shooters on this board in particular...I am very happy to be able to provide some info that helps others, just as so many folks here have done for me! :yeah:

JC

jcchartboy said:
Wow Omega,

That is incredible!....How does that work out? It seems almost impossible to have that great of a velocity spread, all else being equal, and having the same POI. Is there some other difference between the three slugs besides velocity?

JC
It doesn't make any sense does it? Perhaps if I did use a much better gun the differences would be greater on paper, I don't know for sure. The company rep claims that it doesn't make any difference. I'm not young enough to believe everything a rep says but the fellow who designed the system claims it has to do with the sabot and the fact that 600 fps doesn't make as big a difference in POI with these giant bullet weights at 13 to 1900fps as it does with lighter bullets at 28 to 3200fps.

Omega,,,

I've heard the same proclaimations about the Lightfields. It doesn't seem possible,,but you've demonstrated it. So far the Savage loves the Lightfields. Especially the blues rated at 1700fps. I need to chrony these... :?

Solid shooting at 100 yards with three different combinations.

Yes, I don't remember if they were out or were soon out but there is a 2 3/4" 20 ga with the Hybred slug.
You ever see their less than leathal line for the police? One version shoots a rubber spider, looks like a kids squoshie ball you know the hair legged kind. I guess it does a really number while hardly leaving a mark. Most of the effect is mental the perp sees the 12 ga shotgun hears the shot and feels the impact. When they wake up they can't believe they haven't been shot.
Sandi was all for trying it out on me, thank God their insurance wouldn't allow it!

Batchief909 said:
Sandi was all for trying it out on me, thank God their insurance wouldn't allow it!

Awww c'mon. We won't tell.... :lol:
Oh don't get me wrong I'd have done it I'm not that bright but I was concerned as I didn't have any clean underwear along,,, :lol:

Latest posts

Back