Winchester SXP 12ga aim problem

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all - I just got a new Winchester SXP 12 ga Field/Camp combo…I bought some slugs to see how the gun does if I wanted to have an extra gun around if a guest comes to hunt or something. I tried Federal Truball, Brenneke Orange Lightening and WInchester XP…I obscured the target at 40 yards with the bead and the Winchesters more or less hit but the other two brands missed 8 inches or more high! Same thing happened when I tried some federal 00 buck. In order to hit where I was aiming, I had to hold 8 inches low…I’ve never had this experience before, indeed I used to shoot a Winchester SXP 20 ga, and it was 3 inch groups with truballs at 50 yards…It is like the bead here is way too high. Any insights or advice? I am scared to use this thing now for lack of clarity over how it aims.

Smooth bore barrel, I presume?
For buck shot, you'll need to fool around with different choke tubes and try a few different brands of shells.
My old Mossberg 500A, shoots those Truball slugs really good.
My barrel has regular rifle sights on it.
Your barrel just has a bead front sight?

Smooth bore barrel, I presume?
For buck shot, you'll need to fool around with different choke tubes and try a few different brands of shells.
My old Mossberg 500A, shoots those Truball slugs really good.
My barrel has regular rifle sights on it.
Your barrel just has a bead front sight?
Yes, smoothbore. I called Winchester...they said I was holding it wrong...That I have to hold it in such a way that the vent rib is invisble and only the bead is visible...I'll buy a couple of boxes tomorrow and try again tomorrow.

Yes, smoothbore. I called Winchester...they said I was holding it wrong...That I have to hold it in such a way that the vent rib is invisble and only the bead is visible...I'll buy a couple of boxes tomorrow and try again tomorrow.
Yes, when you're aiming, all you want to see is the front bead.
Your point of aim should be on the center of your target.
I imagine the barrel has interchangeable choke tubes.
Improved cylinder or modified are probably best for slugs, not a full choke tube.

So, I did some more shooting and lowering the bead did produce greater accuracy, but I can’t really see using this gun for deer…I think I prefer my ML…Glad I did not sell my Wolf…it may be heresy, but I think I prefer it to the Optima…not really sure what I gained in the Optima except for the cheek riser…but it is much heavier, less helpful to trek through the woods and I do not see an accuracy difference at 100 yards.

Latest posts

Back