Jump starting Blackhorn 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cannonball1

Reaction score
With a traditional side hammer <a href='/tags/11' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #11'>#11</a> nipple gun.  If a person used a frizzen sized charge of 4F black powder and a regular charge of Blackhorn 209 powder would that create any undue pressure in your gun?

I used to use a 5gr booster charge of pyrodex to american pioneer to set off BH209 in a side hammer. It got boring though and slow to reload so I went back to both goex and American pioneer.

I had one of those things come apart on me so I am real iffy on that set up. Supposedly the person making them at the time had the bright idea to add an extra thread which weakened the setup and it couldn't handle the pressure. I'd call the company and see if they have fixed this. This was an issue they had with the metric 6-1mm threads.

Use BP in a sidelock. If you want to use a modern powder. Use a modern muzzleloader.

They say they addressed the problem shortly after they "improved" it. It's been at least 2 years ago that it happened. They fixed it before I ever bought mine.

Regardless of what Western Powders say, I have been using it in my Sile Hunter Hawken for over two years with no problems ... and no misfires. I am in wet, humid Florida and it really is nice not to have to worry about ignition when hunting.

SileHawkenMag-Sparkweb_zps3f6c6d48.jpg

Back