Traditions Tracker and Blackhorn 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mookie2112

Reaction score
I have seen one person on one of these forums (forget which) mention that BH209 cannot be used in the Traditions Tracker. He said the reason has something to do with the bolt could blowback (or something like that).

The manual for the Traditions Tracker specifies ONLY pellets and Pyrodex and Triple7 powder and regular Black powder. It does not mention BH209.

But, I emailed Traditions and here's what they said:

"Thank you for reaching out. The tracker does not require a special breech plug in order to use Blackhorn 209, so you should be okay using it. Just make sure that you are using the 209 ignition plug and not the musket cap nipple.

The CVA muzzleloaders are the only muzzleloaders that require a specific Blackhorn breech plug. Please let me know if there is anything else that I can assist you with and have a great day."

BUT....I'm still a little hesitant to try Blackhorn209 in my Traditions Tracker.

Anyone have some thoughts or experience on this topic?

Thanks!

Mookie

I owned a Traditions inline shotgun which was pretty similar to what you have. I bought a conversion kit to shoot the 209 primers. I also used black horn in the gun without any problems.
I wish I could remember where I got the kit from.

I had a buddy with issue using Blackhorn 209 in a Traditions. I dont know the model. He was not cleaning between shots. Customer service told him the same deal. Not exactly honest. I expect that best practice in keeping the breech plug clean between shots may or may not work out. He traded away the traditions and has me pretty well educated so; I can spot what works for BK209 at a glance. That is work with a margin. IMHO the best option for the stock traditions is black powder. It is easy to clean and easy to ignite. Or for BK209, I would look at modification to the breech plug. The nice thing about 209 is you clean up with Hoppes and that can wait a few days if you need. It burns cleaner and is reported to boost velocity some. I am a believer to the point that I have been loading my 50/70 with the stuff.

My small circle of friends use Federal 209A primers. If you are new to this, the primer side and primer hole is the worse cleaning issue than any powder.

Now, on the other hand if you are unwilling to risk buying a can of 209 powder. Wow! That is a big mistake. Asking is excellent. Getting the options is wise. In the end you better be willing to risk a can of powder.

I can summarize how to spot a breech plug that will work for Blackhorn. Look at the powder side of the plug. There should be a deep wide hole that fills with powder. It should not be flat with a pin hole. You have the gun? Post a picture. You will get my 2c and that is by no mans the last word. I cut & past a image. No industry BS will get around this:

Attachments

• Compare.jpg
    Compare.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
If I remember correctly, the tracker has or one can get a thunder dome breech plug which Traditions says will work with loose powder or pellets.
A140386.jpg

Edit. Not my intent to endorse use of BH in this or any other plunger gun just showing the Tracker brech plug has a deep hole for powder use.

Last edited:
The Tracker is a plunger gun. Not a sealed ignition type action so NO its not compatible. As per Western Powder's guidelines.
traditions-tracker-209-muzzleloader-rifle-r44003470_1.jpg

I made the mistake of trying to use it in a Knight LK-93, another plunger gun. I missed a buck on a cold winter day due to a hang fire. I still kept trying, but the 209 cup I took to the forehead convinced me to stop and start following directions. It will probably fire, but why risk injury.

I am not sure why Traditions would ok it. Seems irresponsible on there part and makes me question their intentions and knowledge.

When using BH209 in a muzzleloader like the tracker, more pressure is acting on the 209 primer compared to other powders such as T7 or Pyrodex. You may have enough pressure acting on the 209 primer which could force it back out of the nipple, sometimes strong enough to recock the plunger. Sometimes, the primer can come apart and now you have pieces of primer flying around which can hit the shooter.

Latest posts

Back