Just Finished Up a .45 Encore

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent rifle, I would need a 50 to keep my options open in Illinois projectiles have to be .44, sad bc 429 XTP with green sabots group 1 1/4” at 100. Out of my OG Disc, I’d like to get an encore one day.

Excellent rifle, I would need a 50 to keep my options open in Illinois projectiles have to be .44, sad bc 429 XTP with green sabots group 1 1/4” at 100. Out of my OG Disc, I’d like to get an encore one day.
Thank you.... I hunted Illinois 2 years ago with my .45 Cal Remington smokeless muzzleloader. If you shoot Sabotless bullets out of the .45, you are good to go. The bullets are sized .451 bullets, obviously bigger than the required .44 or bigger. My buddy shoots 195 Barnes bullets (.400) with sabots out of his .45 and he couldn't use his gun in Illinois.

Would you be willing to tell us how much you had to spend for all the modifications that beauty? I definitely want to see how it shoots.
As shown I have $3100.00 into the gun.. The custom Brux barrel from Luke @ Arrowhead is/was the most costly piece of the build but to me, worth every penny. I could have gone with a cheaper scope, and did not have to have the stock hydrodipped but I would not have been happy.
I honestly do not have a lot of trigger time behind the gun but can tell you it shoots incredible. The very first 2 shots from the gun were touching @100, I adjusted the scope and the next 3 were all touching just above the bullseye. This was with the very first load I tried out of the gun. I was able to get 2 Deer with it this past season. Buck @ 120 yards and a Doe @ 210 Either one took a step, they both dropped in their tracks.

Awesome looking rifle Im looking into getting a barrel for my encore. Are you full or smooth sizing? Any buyers regrets?

Last edited:
Awesome looking rirle Im looking into getting a barrel for my encore. Are you full or smooth sizing? Any buyers regrets?
Thank you... Absolutely no regrets whatsoever. The barrel is one of Luke's from Arrowhead. It is a 1:20 tw., Brux barrel. I'm shooting his 275gr. NSR bullets which do not need to be sized. But yes, they are essentially smooth sized not full formed. The gun shoots the same hole if I do my part.

Sure would be interested to know the powder charge you are using in your encore. I just bought the same barrel from Luke. Thanks,

Sure would be interested to know the powder charge you are using in your encore. I just bought the same barrel from Luke. Thanks,
I am using Luke's recommended load of 60 grains Hodgdon H4198 and his 275 grain NSR bullets. This is the first and only load I tried and needed to try, it will shoot the same hole if I do my part.

Beautiful.! I am in the process of building mine.I'm going with the Camo laminated stock.I can't wait to get mine complete and take it to the range!

Back