Just for fun........Best All-Around Bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakesdad

Reaction score
First of all I know there are lots of variables for this that and the other.But just for FUN.......the muzzleloader genie grants you an unlimited supply of just ONE bullet,everything from coyotes to grizzlies(not going africa here).What do you pick....................

Im going with .451 300 grain Nosler partition.It has worked very well for me(albeit just on whitetails)and it was good enough for Jim Shockey to hunt the continent with.Good accuracy and proven results on the business end.

Whats your pick?(And please remember I only did this for fun,not intending to insult anybodys pick.Its summer and I'm bored :D )

jakesdad said:
First of all I know there are lots of variables for this that and the other.But just for FUN.......the muzzleloader genie grants you an unlimited supply of just ONE bullet,everything from coyotes to grizzlies(not going africa here).What do you pick....................

Im going with .451 300 grain Nosler partition.It has worked very well for me(albeit just on whitetails)and it was good enough for Jim Shockey to hunt the continent with.Good accuracy and proven results on the business end.

Whats your pick?(And please remember I only did this for fun,not intending to insult anybodys pick.Its summer and I'm bored :D )

In the past I would have been almost squarely behind you with your choice of the 300 grain Nosler Partition, although my choice would have been the .458-300gr.

Since, and even before, before Nosler decided not to make these bullets any longer - I made a decision to find or choose a better ML bullet. I still and would use Nosler Partitions in my centerfires - except that I do not use my centerfires any longer.

Today, and since you limit it to ONE bullet - for me it certainly would be the .458-275 grain Lehigh - now Bloodline. I consider it probably the best all-around - do everything bullet being offered to the general public.

Are the Lehigh bullets only available from Knight now or can you still purchase them from Lehigh?

:D

Big choice for me. I like the Parker Ballistic Extreme 275 grain and the Harvester PT GOLD 260 GRAIN. I get great results on paper out to 200 yards without adjusting the scope. I still think, although some might think I'm nuts, either one of those bullets will bring down any critter in NA when placed in the right spot.

Ray.......... :wink:

Best "all-around" bullet would have to be a Barnes of some type in my opinion.

Well, the choice is simple for me. The bullet suggested by the thread originator is obviously the 'best' all around bullet. This..........

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm? ... |1115|1475

This bullet works great on small whitetail, large whitetail, and large/small mule deer. It certainly would be my bullet of choice for any elk. The tissue damage i have witnessed from this bullet is astounding. The penetration of this bullet is bested by none. It is as the original poster wrote the 'Best All Around Bullet'. It is 'in stock' available for purchase. Other suggested bullets are too soft, too hard, and too expensive, compared.

ronlaughlin said:
Well, the choice is simple for me. The bullet suggested by the thread originator is obviously the 'best' all around bullet. This..........

This bullet works great on small whitetail, large whitetail, and large/small mule deer. It certainly would be my bullet of choice for any elk. The tissue damage i have witnessed from this bullet is astounding. The penetration of this bullet is bested by none. It is as the original poster wrote the 'Best All Around Bullet'. It is 'in stock' available for purchase. Other suggested bullets are too soft, too hard, and too expensive, compared.

Hard to beat $24 for a box of 50!

smyrnagc said:
Are the Lehigh bullets only available from Knight now or can you still purchase them from Lehigh?

Lehigh has a contract with Knight to supply them with Muzzleloader bullets so Knight has the market for them.

He. Dave, still sells regular rifle bullets for limited calibers from his site.

smyrnagc said:
ronlaughlin said:

Hard to beat $24 for a box of 50!

The problem there Hal is that Widener's has a very limited supply and once they are gone... that is it unless Nosler reconsiders and I do not think that might happen. There is a lot of pressure to get to lead free bullets. Many states have already passed their own lead free rules. Washington State came very close last year also.

I really expect to see Nosler expand their line of 'E' bullets and Hornady is moving to their MonoFlex bullets, which just might be the best bullet Hornady has ever made. At least it should not come apart.

The good ole 300gr XTP .452 for me , no wonder is has killed so many animals. Price and accuracy are spot on for me.. If I could pick a tie it would be the deep curl / xtp

Barnes....... 100% reliable and accurate. I prefer the 250gr TMZ, but the heavier 290gr TMZ is also an excellent choice. Premium bullets. Price should never be a consideration when it comes to reliability and accuracy.... we owe it to the animal.

Huge fan of the Nosler Partition 45/300 but those are disappearing, never to be seen again, so I have been using the Barnes XPB 44/225, but pushing it at twice the speed it is recommended for, so after a few conversations with Ty at Barnes, I am going to try the .451/275 XPB designed for the .460 S&W. It requires 1400fps for expansion & if it leaves my barrel at 2000fps, Ty says I will have proper expansion out to 175 yards & that's farther than any shot I have, so we'll see how they do accuracy wise & report back.

Just for fun, i did a search for some old posts showing bullet performance. This first link shows what happened when the 300g Lehigh, 290g TEZ, and the 270g Gold Dot smucked juice jugs filled with water.

Link 1

This next link shows the same set using the 300g partition.

Partition

The Gold Dot has put more deer in our freezer than any other bullet. The partition is devastating on deer. When Widener's put the partition on sale, i added to my lifetime supply; it is now a lifetime+ supply. Ironically, for deer hunting, i never use bullets from this stash, but i have plenty, more than a lifetime supply. Certainly my first choice for elk.

I really enjoy these kind of posts. I see a LOT of good bullets. The Speer line is a very good & affordable line of bullets that is quietly building a very good reputation among inline hunters. My rifle likes the 270 deep curl the best in the Speer line, printing 5/8" 3 shot groups at 100 yards, but both the 44/240 & the 454/300 are more than acceptable groups for hunting. I don't NEED a Barnes to kill a deer, especially at close range, but I like to know that if it turns into a raking shot or if I need to break both shoulders to keep him from reaching property lines that I can & will do it. Then there are unexpected things like Black Bears & Mountain Lions, which I prefer not to encounter, but I do hunt in their house.

Thats a tough choice for me. It would have to work well in a 45cal, 50cal and a 54cal. I would be limited to a .45X that shot well sabotless too. :wink:

I would have to go with a Parker 275gr or maybe the new 300gr Ballistic Extreme and avoid the grizzlies. :D The Parker BEs may not hold together as good as some bullets but the accuracy has been excellent.

Back