Just got back...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAF

Reaction score
from another trip to the woods. I still have an antlerless mule deer tag. I'm in no hurry to fill it and since I have plenty of meat, if I decided to shoot one it will be a fawn. Anyway this morning was +4 C but windy.
10 minutes before legal shooting time a mulie doe with a fawn walked by me at 50 yds. What I'm looking for but can't shoot because of the time so they got a pass. After that it was a constant parade of white tail. Each time a doe walked by, a buck was not far behind with his nose to the ground. Saw 6 does and 5 bucks in a 40 minute time span. One was a really good one, the rest were small with big ideas :wink: . My partner came to pick me up at my blind a we did a tour of the pasture. As we drove along a fence line a pair of does came running across an open field and crossed 30 yds in front of us. They followed by a monster white tail buck who also crossed right infront of us. Looked out the window and here came to more does who stopped and watched us. We then drove off. Out in the middle of the pasture we stopped and set up on a hill and partner started rattling. He then walked off a couple of hundred yds to another hill and rattled some more. He saw a buck in the distance that was coming to him but it was a little guy, so he came back to the truck. We then moved to another spot and as we passed the spot where he had been rattling the little guy stepped out into the open. He definetly wasn't a shooter. We drove to another good spot about a mile south and set up again. Rattling didn't produce any buck but we saw a couple of does. We decided it was time to go home and on our way out saw a reasonably good sized mulie buck watching us go by. We stopped to look at him and he just stood there. My partner decided he wasn't big enough. He'd seen this buck several times and he's always around the same spot. On Saturday, the last day of mulie season, if he hasn't found a bigger one, this deer will then be big enough :wink: .

Wow, sounds like things are picking up. I'll be heading out on Saturday in the Regina Muzzleloader zone. Hopefully I see one of those monsters you're talking about.

Back