Just picked up a whites super 91

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My3sons

Reaction score
Was in my local gun shop this last week and picked up a Whites Super 91 SS .50 caliber that someone traded for another gun. I guess it has been there for a while now according to the owner. Was not in the market for a muzzleloader but it caught my eye as I was walking by. This particular gun is the 1996 Rocky Mt. Elk Foundation banquet Edition Gun which is stamped on the barrel. The gun has hardly been shot and is great shape. I ordered some NE bullets from Dave and are going to give them a try as according to some on here is good starting point. I only have pyrodex P powder so will have to give that a whirl. I have some 777 ffg ordered so will see what it likes. Anybody have any suggestions feel free to chime in. Lol Blake.

Great find , just clean it after shooting that pyrodex. Both my whites like 80-90gr of t7 and anything that gets loaded in it. I can shoot sabots, fpb, bull shops and no excuses all very accurately.

Ditto what Sbuff said about cleaning it real good after shooting Pryodex P. Pryodex P was always the recommended powder for White's and always provided me excellent accuracy, it is just dirtier as compared to other powders. I would also try some Swiss 3F powder if you can get your hands on some.

Very nice looking rifle. What a great find. One thing you might want to check is how tight a fit you have in your stock. Most White rifles end up getting bedded sooner or later and sooner is better. Pyrodex is about the most corrosive powder out there, IF you choose to use it make damn sure to get the rifle spotless soon after shooting. Good Luck
Art

I have been around muzzleloaders through out my life, but I guess I didn't realize how the BP powders were measured. For many years I have reloaded my own rifle, big pistols, and some shotgun loads. So when people talk about 80 grains are they talking 80 grs. by the clear BP measuring tubes such as a T/C or a actually RCBS measuring scale? I know BP is measured by Volume and regular powder by weight. Just trying to clarify for my records. Blake

Most times when you are talking 80 grains of powder in a muzzle-loader you are talking 80 grains by volume not weight. This is measured by various devices clear plastic or brass measures. Some people, (including me sometimes), who are trying to get the most accuracy possible, will weigh their loads but the weights used are still based on volume measure. For example: if you want to shoot 80 grains of fff goex measure 10 loads by volume, weight them, and you might come up with about 76 grains by weight. Weighing seems to give a person a more consistent velocity, in other words it is a little more precise than a volume measure but the weight you use is still based on volume. Make sense? I didn't think so. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
With real black powder the volume measure and the weight will run pretty close, with substitutes it can vary a lot, esp with triple 7 and blackhorn, and maybe others that I'm not aware of.
Art

Nice find, looks pretty sweet! :yeah:

Yeah definitely the standard is by VOLUME. Whenever any reference is made to "X"gr of powder, its always speaking of volume unless otherwise stated. As flounder said, different powders will weigh differently. Like BH209 has a .7 factor. 100gr volume actually weighs 70gr on a scale.

Its not a bad thing to weigh your charges if you want to get extremely consistent loads, but for most applications weighing is not necessary. I use the fill and tap method in my powder measurer, works great for me. I have weighed out my loads a few times, but the difference is so negligible that I don't do that much. If I was a competition shooter, by all means I want everything as consistent as can be.

Let us know how she shoots! :mrgreen:

Thanks guys for the response back. I just wanted to make sure I understood what I Thought..LOL I'm using the T/C clear measuring tube I assume it's fine? Still need to get a scope for it yet, as we can use scopes in Kansas. I'm a archery hunter but may have to shoot something with it. I'll let you know how it shoots. Thanks Blake

8) My super 91 .504 likes 90gr. (volume) of T72Fg under a unlubed wad and a 490gr. trashcan conical. It hasn't seen much action tho as the .451 super 91 usually gets the first chance out every year.

What did you pay for it if you don't mind sayin...

I'm not sure I got that great a deal other then the fact they are somewhat hard to find. The gun is like new and after doing some searchs I figured I would have to pay more for a gun of its liking, I gave $425 for it. Chime in and let me know if I done well or not. Blake

I think you did just fine on that deal esp if the bore is as clean as the rest of the rifle appears to be.

The bore is clean with absolutely no build up any where and the breech plug is in great condition. I did get another breech plug for it as a backup though. That was the first thing I asked if the breech plug was free in it and made the shop take it out so I could look down the barrel. Blake

I agree it was well worth $425 in that condition. I would have jumped on that deal as well! You will enjoy the Super 91 its a great gun. I sold all my TC's when I found the Whites, cept for the .54 Renegade (no QLA). I gotta keep one side hammer in case they ban inlines.... :lol:

Back