Knight Bighorn

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapbang

Imlay City Michigan
Supporting member
Reaction score
I took my Knight Bighorn out for its first shooting session. I decided to go with T7 because I have a substantial inventory. I am using some Alcan Primers ( must be pretty old ) but they ignite the powder just fine. Shot (10) 440 grain bullets and although I need to work on the group the shooting session went just fine. My real comment is not once was there a crud ring in the chamber. I was shooting 55-70 grains by weight of T7. In my Knight Elite there is always a noticeable crud ring. But not once in the Bighorn. Is this unusual.

Percussion caps pretty much eliminate the crud ring. Using caps in my old ThunderHawk i could easily load several times. Swapped to a 209 in the same rifle and instant crud ring.

Sorry, I wasnt complete in my information. It is equiped wirth the red discs for a 209. So I was shooting 209s. Seriously, not any resistance cleaning between shots in the chamber area.

I have heard that the crud ring is prevalent in the bolt style and break open designs, but the plunger styles don't seem to be effected much by it. I have a Knight Wolverine 209. I have primarily shot 777 ffg and don't recall ever having a crud ring. I shoot the red FPJ and have shot several full strength 209 primers with no ill effect. However, both of my friends have noticed the crud rings in their Knight Disc Elites. Same primers/powders and load as me at the same times. Go figure. But one of those friends has moved to BH209 and no longer sees a crud ring whatsoever.

but the plunger styles don't seem to be effected much by it. I have a Knight Wolverine 209. I have primarily shot 777 ffg and don't recall ever having a crud ring. I shoot the red FPJ and have shot several full strength 209 primers with no ill effect. However, both of my friends have noticed the crud rings in their Knight Disc Elites.
My experience exactly.

Latest posts

Back