Knight bolt gun upgrades

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GREAT Video Jeff. Very informative, thank you for taking time to educate us.:2cool:

Love it!! and ive thought for awhile now that a smaller firing pin was a great idea.

Couple questions.

1) Can any of the older Knight bolts be modified or do you have to use the newer style bolts?

2) I was under the impression to get the full ignition benefits from a LRMP the plug used had a short flame path. Im assuming you are using Lukes LRMP plug for 700ML/MLII type conversions and not the one for centerfires?

3) Any chance of just a bolt upgrade using your original plug or the Lehigh plugs? If so what would need to be sent?...Just the bolt assembly?

4) Any plans to make a bolt housing without the need to use a ASG bolt nose? I would imagine Knight will go that way if/when they release a LRMP rifle. I would bet Lehigh is already looking at that idea too.

Good video Jeff.

Within the past 5 years, Knight made some smaller firing pins. I have one on one of my rifles. Pin diameter measured 0.180”.
Last I recall, no issues with 209 primers, but sometimes these smaller firing pins poked a hole in #11 caps for Western shooters.

CD6143ED-3B8E-485D-97A8-41C817E9BB12.jpeg

I love my Knight rifles . For the average deer hunter that shoots minimal shots the upgrades may not be necessary.

These systems (especially the last 2 systems )are for the guys that either shoot a lot , a guy that possibly gets drawn for a hunt and wants to push the envelope with his Knight rifle, the competitive guy or for any high pressure load whether it be heavy lead slow and steady or the new modern high BC muzzleloader bullets pushed fast .

I can not thank Jeff enough for developing these systems . I have struggled with leaking breech plugs and blown primers while shooting max loads ( mainly 84 grains with 300 to 325 grain bullets out of a .45) The new .40 s definitely needed something that would will handle more pressure . I blew primers almost immediately while trying to shoot 275 and 300 grain bullets out of the .40

When I talked Knight into testing some .40 cals that is when we really saw the need for a ignition upgrade that will handle more pressure . Jeff set up 2 Knight 500 .40 cals . One used the 209 setup with Boltnose conversion the other Knight 500 utilizes Luke’s modules . Both guns work flawless . I have done some extensive testing . Here are some interesting differences that Jeff did not address in his video . Originally I have ALWAYS been a 209 guy because of simplicity and availability of the 209s and I still am a big fan of 209s but through testing there are a couple of advantages I have found with the module system . In my testing the modules system created a little more FPS which surprised the heck out of me . The bushing used in the Large Rifle Primer system is larger than the 209 system. I would imagine that is where the FPS is gained . The biggest advantage I see with the module system is that there is very little wear on the bushing( Ron addressed this with Large Rifle Primers) also there is very little carbon build up in the flame channel . The bushing wear and not having to worry about my flame channel is enough to swing me towards modules .

Now fellows I shoot a lot . I just love to shoot and experiment . I am fortunate to live in the country and can basically shoot when ever I have time . I am being completely honest when I say this . I was always worried about how many shots I could put through my Knights before I either burnt out a bushing or gas cut the front of my plug . Now I can just shoot .50, .45 or .40 . Jeff is making these guns more and more user friendly now I can treat my Knights like any of my customs .

All of this progression with the ignition systems was to help me with my issues. I doubt anyone has had more experience than myself with any of these systems . Please feel free to pm with any questions regarding any of these upgrades I would be more than happy relay experiences .

Thank you Jeff Fisk and for that matter all the builders that help make any production guns achieve their full potential .

Love it!! and ive thought for awhile now that a smaller firing pin was a great idea.

Couple questions.

1) Can any of the older Knight bolts be modified or do you have to use the newer style bolts?

2) I was under the impression to get the full ignition benefits from a LRMP the plug used had a short flame path. Im assuming you are using Lukes LRMP plug for 700ML/MLII type conversions and not the one for centerfires?

3) Any chance of just a bolt upgrade using your original plug or the Lehigh plugs? If so what would need to be sent?...Just the bolt assembly?

4) Any plans to make a bolt housing without the need to use a ASG bolt nose? I would imagine Knight will go that way if/when they release a LRMP rifle. I would bet Lehigh is already looking at that idea too.

Feel free to call me
812 571 0280

We can discuss all kinds of options

Good video Jeff.

Within the past 5 years, Knight made some smaller firing pins. I have one on one of my rifles. Pin diameter measured 0.180”.
Last I recall, no issues with 209 primers, but sometimes these smaller firing pins poked a hole in #11 caps for Western shooters.

View attachment 4550

These options are definitely not intended for #11 cap .

I guess im still learning knight rifle but i feel large firing hole is a issue on certain applications and loads.

With lrmp module small firing pin is required

Excellent work Jeff. It's too bad that after 11 years of shooting Blackhorn 209 that we still haven't gotten the rifle manufacturers (Knight, CVA, Remington, T/C) to address the headspace/blowback issues.

Hopefully they all start to come around in the near future.

The bolt rifles are supposed to be the top of the line rifles, yet they all supply substandard ignition systems from the factory.

You have addressed them in the Knights, ASG in the Remington's, but CVA is going to need a little love with their new Paramount rifle as well. It should be fairly easy in the Paramount, with a new breech plug and bolt nose. Luke mentioned that he is already working on a new CVA QRBP that uses his LRMP Modules that will take care of all the Accura's, Optima's, and Wolf's.

It's just too bad these companies don't consult with custom riflesmiths like you before jumping in with both feet on a 15-20 year old substandard ignition system. They are all guilty!

Good stuff! Keep it coming.

Last edited:
It is amazing to me how much advancement is still possible with the muzzleloading rifle.
While not for me, I'm a striker fired fan myself, I can appreciate the time and effort expended to make the frontstuffer a force to be reckoned with.
Enjoy and carry on...

I watched the video last night and I'm always impressed with your work and knowledge. With a guy like Doug doing a lot of testing there is always going to be ideas for improvement. I know both of you will not settle for anything less than the best if at all possible.

Keep up the great work. This makes me want another Knight especially if the 40 cal becomes available.

What makes this so impressive . (Jeffs work ) These Knights are a blessing and a curse at the same time . Most parts are interchangeable. Bolts , breech plugs , stocks etc... parts being interchangeable seems to make the tolerances not that great . To come up with something that will work on a wide range of guns is amazing . These last two systems Jeff has came up with makes these guns a completely different animal . I realize it’s expensive but for a guy like myself that shoots a lot or a guy that wants a trouble free top shelf ignition system that he NEVER has to worry about . I will gladly pay for Jeff’s professionalism and time .It really is that good .

Latest posts

Back