knight disc extreme breech bolt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerseyjimk

Reaction score
I need to replace the spring on the breech bolt.I bought the bolt used online,shows some rust and would like to replace the spring.I could break down the bolt into 2 pieces but,I cant figure out how to get to the spring.Any ideas? thanks Jim

jerseyjimk said:
I need to replace the spring on the breech bolt.I bought the bolt used online,shows some rust and would like to replace the spring.I could break down the bolt into 2 pieces but,I cant figure out how to get to the spring.Any ideas? thanks Jim

I have never broke a DISC bolt completely down so I am not the best resource... But to get to the spring there is an allen wrench screw in the rear of the hammer assembly. This keeps the secondary safety from screwing off the end of the hammer assembly. If you get the screw out then remove the secondary safety knob the internal hammer assembly will be loose and the spring will push the firing pin out of the rest of the housing. Problem... the Allen Screw has normally had a lok-tite applied so it is difficult to get it loose.

I was going to post ask Sabotloader!! LOL I have never tried to remove the spring either. Question... Why do you think it needs to be replaced? Will it not strike the caps hard enough to ignite them? Might soak the bolt in a good oil and see if it looks better.

I dont have to change it,I was thinking about it.I bought the bolt used online and it shows some rust.So I figure it's not in the gun yet,just fix whats needs to be fixed.I did take out the screw for the second safety but,it still didnt come out.I'll try to soak it in some pentrating oil see if that works.thnaks for the responses jim

Yes, I have seen(buying used) where the previous owner doesn't properly take the bolt apart for proper cleaning. I am just talking about unscrewing the center from the bolt housing on a Knight. Just by doing that & using a patch on a smaller rod one can keep the inside of the bolt housing clean.

As long as it's all working for you, trigger & firing pin fire, I would just clean it best you can with that main spring in place, 'gunscrubber' type spray & soak it in something.

Back