Knight Full-Bore .50 Suggestions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorado S14

Reaction score
Happy Friday to everyone, I have been reading and wanted to create a new thread regarding some questions for a new muzzleloader owner/hunter. I should draw a MZ deer tag this year in Colorado, which required non-sabot, full-bore projectiles. I picked up a Knight Disc Extreme for a steal and was hoping you could help point me in the right direction.

I picked up some Blackhorn 209 and Hodgdon 777 powder along with TC Maxi Ball and PowerBelts at my local Sportsmans Warehouse. In my first range day both were only averaging about 3" at 50 yards, not encouraging to say the least. However, I know that this is all a learning process.

So, with all of that said, where would you guys start? I read some good things about the Thor projectiles, but given the price I thought I would ask first before taking the plunge. Also, if you have any tips for a first time MZ hunter I am all ears!

Thanks!

First i would get a Lehigh or Bestill bare 209 primer setup instead of the red FPJ system.

Next i would also try the Fury bullets and get yourself some veggie fiber wads also. Its a really good idea to use a good sealing wad when shooting sabotless and BH209.

I have used several different bullets for that purpose... but lately have got stuck on the a Barnes Expander's and a MMP sub-base for the gas seal

Expans-XPB.jpg

I knurl them with a tubing cutter to fit my bore. You will need to experiment a bit to get the correct lift on the barbs for your rifle. Once you have the correct lift I just put a mark on the adjustment to correspond with the seam on the back of the cutter. You can see the knob has two marks - one corresponds to the ULite and the second to my old Wolverine.

Barnes-EXP-Cut-Knurling.jpg

These are really good bullets from a ML - I have also tried the Barnes XPB's but their operating velocity is to high on the low end for me. The MZ Expanders do the job!

Dennis at Fury has a couple new .50cal bullets available that have not yet been added to the Fury web page.
The newer bullets work excellent in a 1:28 twist rifle and the weights available are, 285gr and 325grs.
For the beginner, he has a sample pack like Thor, that you can determine the proper bore riding size for your specific rifle. They can be very different sizes, even of the same models.
Once you find the size that best fits your rifle's specific barrel, you can order that size from Fury and they will already be knurled and sized. It is, as posted above, best to use a .518"-.060" veggie wad between the propellant and bullet.
This bullet will put the hammer of Thor on a large whitetail.

new fury bullet for 50's 325 and 285.jpg

The regular Fury star tip...….
Fury 325gr.jpg

Last edited:
If you don’t want to go to the expense of an adjustable sizing die get the Thor sizing pack. I tried, Thor, Hornady FPB and Federal Bore Loc bullets. The Federals printed the best so that’s what I used for my last Colorado bull hunt. 100 yard shot 60 yard recovery with a broadside shot.

77gr of Blackhorn 209 powder in a Remington 700mls. I did send the bolt in for the boltnose conversion plus a Williams peep sight was added for my old eyes.

I did purchase a Lee sizing die once I determined what size the bore was by using the Thor sizing pack. It worked well on the FPBs and the Thor bullets I purchased for testing. There was no need to size the Federals due to design. Make sure you foul your barrel with several primers prior to loading and you will need to firmly seat the bullet on Blackhirn 209 powder if that’s the route you go. Magnum primers work best in colder weather.

Latest posts

Back