Knight LRH Accuracy and breech plug advice

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowbender6

Reaction score
My wife bought me a Knight Long Range Hunter from Cabelas when they where closing them out. I think around 2009. I have only shot about 100 shots because I have quite a few muzzleloaders that shoot better. Most groups are 1.5" to 3.00 inches.(I have an excel log if needed). The barrel is on the large side, .503". I have shot it with plastic Jacket and bare primer.I mostly used 275 to 325 gr bullets with various sabots, usually with 110 gr of BH209.
I clean/drill out the breech plug. I just checked the breech plug and it was .037 which I think is a little large. Bullets I have tried -325 FTX, 310APB, 300 B.O., 300 PT, 300 Rem,300 SST,190 Barnes, 265 FTX, 250 SST, 200 SST. I wanted a LRH since my buddy had one and it shot most bullets great but it was a lot tighter barrel, I would guess around .501

Any ideas on what to try next? If I can't get it to shoot can I get a .45 barrel for it?
Thanks

bowbender6 said:
My wife bought me a Knight Long Range Hunter from Cabelas when they where closing them out. I think around 2009. I have only shot about 100 shots because I have quite a few muzzleloaders that shoot better. Most groups are 1.5" to 3.00 inches.(I have an excel log if needed). The barrel is on the large side, .503". I have shot it with plastic Jacket and bare primer.I mostly used 275 to 325 gr bullets with various sabots, usually with 110 gr of BH209.
I clean/drill out the breech plug. I just checked the breech plug and it was .037 which I think is a little large. Bullets I have tried -325 FTX, 310APB, 300 B.O., 300 PT, 300 Rem,300 SST,190 Barnes, 265 FTX, 250 SST, 200 SST. I wanted a LRH since my buddy had one and it shot most bullets great but it was a lot tighter barrel, I would guess around .501

Any ideas on what to try next? If I can't get it to shoot can I get a .45 barrel for it?
Thanks

I am going to present this without thinking about it a lot... I have a Knight 45 Super DISC barrel (1-20) twist I might trade if you are interested. The .503 might be exactly what I need to shoot these large sabotless bullets I have.

There are different size sabots you might try an HPH 24 and hoh12 you might also take a look at the sabot bullet combinations list at the top section of the page for figuring out this particular problem.

Re: RE: Re: Knight LRH Accuracy and breech plug advice

Lee 9 said:
There are different size sabots you might try an HPH 24 and hoh12 you might also take a look at the sabot bullet combinations list at the top section of the page for figuring out this particular problem.
I haven't tried them all but a lot of them, I have all the sabots listed, looks like the knight is the thickest.
Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

One of the members here had an oversize CVA barrel and we got it to shoot good by paper patching the bullet before we put it in the sabot we use the cross method.

If the Flash Hole is up to .037. It is about done. If it were mine I would contact Bestill (a member gunsmith on here) about one of his plugs for that rifle. He has a bare primer plug that has a Tungsten Carbide bushing in it that has the flash hole in it. You may never wear it out. I put one in my Knight Ultra Lite and love it. :yeah: If you have a set of calipers you can do the measuring and he can then make it fit your rifle for zero blow back. If not you can send it to him and he will fit it for you.

If it has a large bore then I would try a .452 bullet with the MMP HPH-12. The HPH-12 is larger than the HPH 24. Some of the bullets you mentioned are .451 diameter and others are .452. That little but can make a difference. You can also try knurling the bullets between 2 files to bring up the diameter a little and help lock them to the sabot. You might also look at using the .458 diameter bullets and the .458x50 sabots too.

ShawnT said:
If the Flash Hole is up to .037. It is about done. If it were mine I would contact Bestill (a member gunsmith on here) about one of his plugs for that rifle. He has a bare primer plug that has a Tungsten Carbide bushing in it that has the flash hole in it. You may never wear it out. I put one in my Knight Ultra Lite and love it. :yeah: If you have a set of calipers you can do the measuring and he can then make it fit your rifle for zero blow back. If not you can send it to him and he will fit it for you.

If it has a large bore then I would try a .452 bullet with the MMP HPH-12. The HPH-12 is larger than the HPH 24. Some of the bullets you mentioned are .451 diameter and others are .452. That little but can make a difference. You can also try knurling the bullets between 2 files to bring up the diameter a little and help lock them to the sabot. You might also look at using the .458 diameter bullets and the .458x50 sabots too.
Tried most of that, including knurling,but there are still more combos to try. I know of Bestill and probably will get a hold of him, what is the best way to contact him?

Just send him a Pm. He might even see this thread and chime in.

If you have tried all that maybe it is something else like a barreled action to stock fitment problem?

I have 3 Knights, a LRH, a Master Hunter and a Disc Elite. I was able to buy Lehigh bare primer breech plugs for all three before they locked up with Knight. They are clearly a different alloy than current Knights.. I've tried various weigts and types of Barnes, Hornady,, TC and Harvester. bullets. I settled on 300 gr bulles for all my hunting because of the variety of animals available on my West Texas low fence lease.I did not try any of the various pistol bullets. After trying lots of components I've settled on 105 to 110 grs BH 209 powder, Federal 209A primers, Harvesters Black Crush Rib sabots and Harvesters 300 gr PT Gold Bullet. If I do my part all 3 will shoot sub MOA groups at 100 yds. The Hornady 300 SST was very accurate as well, however I found their performance on game was very inconsistent. The Harvester 300 gr PT Gold has done a great job.on WT's, Axis, Fallow, Aoudad and fersl hogs. When the plugs need replacing they will be sent to Bestilll. He does great work.

I think your flash hole is a bit large now and needs to be addressed, but it likely wasn't for much of when you were testing. I'd start there, at least you eliminate that one variable. As mentioned, you can pm bestill here on this site.

Here are the loads I have tried. All with 110gr of BH208. I think I need to fix the breech plug and try a few more combos

FPS MOA Bullet Sabot
1742 1.77 325 FTX BCR
1877 1.92 325 FTX MMP
1880 1.98 325 FTX MMP
1872 2.29 325 FTX BCR
1921 2.35 325 FTX BCR
1923 1.41 310 APB BCR
1905 0.53 300 B.O. MMP
1928 1.65 300 B.O. MMP
1921 2.07 300 B.O. MMP
1922 2.17 300 B.O. MMP
1790 3.02 300 B.O. BCR
1882 5.00 300 PT MMP
1930 2.28 300 Rem MMP
1947 0.70 300 SST RCR
1913 1.15 300 SST RCR
1933 1.79 300 SST RCR
1847 2.67 300 SST RCR
0.99 290 Barnes TMZ Yel
1927 3.21 290 Barnes TMZ Med knurl
1979 1.88 265 FTX KN

1.98 250 SST RCR
1851 3.29 250 SST RCR
1768 2.25 250 SST KN10 RCR
1995 2.18 200 SW MMP

I suppose you have tried various primers with all those loads? Are you getting blowback? If you get a new breechplug and still have the problem with accuracy then its a bedding issue.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

only tried Fed209, I have the plastic jacket primer right now but I have used the bare primer plug. I put the bare primer back in my Knight .45 because it shoots way better and I don't use the LRH much

There is another thing I have run into that is the crown being square to the outside of the barrel and the bore being a bit off center. You have to check that the end of the barrel is square to the bore and that there are no dings or scratches on it.

Dougs136Schwartz said:
Does your LRH have a second lug ?
I think so, if I remember correct there is a "U" shaped bracket at the back that locks down

bowbender6 said:
Dougs136Schwartz said:
Does your LRH have a second lug ?
I think so, if I remember correct there is a "U" shaped bracket at the back that locks down

Yes, they also saw this platform flex with the 1/2 cutout of the action. That's why the Mountaineer is different in the cutout for strength - but they also did away with the rear screw/lug.

Bowbender;
What's the MOA in your data referencing?

52Bore said:
Bowbender;
What's the MOA in your data referencing?
Minute of angle, I convert all distances to equivalent moa at 100 yards

Back