Knight LRH Accuracy and breech plug advice

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Knight LRH Accuracy and breech plug advice

bowbender6 said:
52Bore said:
Bowbender;
What's the MOA in your data referencing?
Minute of angle, I convert all distances to equivalent moa at 100 yards

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
My moa is roughly 100 yard group in inches

Sabot I have one of these LRH in a .50 cal . Can I buy the bullets your using Sabotless ? Are they available or were they just experimental bullets.

I thought about different powder charges but it kind of defeats what I bought the LRH for because I want I for open field shooting. If I can't get it to shoot I might play with lower charges and different caliber bullets.

You could try 115gnV and 120gnV (Max with BH). My UL seems to shoot a little tighter at 120gnV.

my LRH 50cal has been bedded and point bedded and locks in the fluting on the barrel the only way to remove the barrel is lift at the back of the barrel and it shoots 3/4 to 1/2 groups all day if i can do my part. with 100 gr BH209 CCI 209m primer 290gr TMZ with yellow sabot that it comes with and they load tight but manageable. this gun has the Lehigh bare primer plug with removable vent and I us Teflon tap on the breech plug threads. this barrel has .501 bore.

Dougs136Schwartz said:
Sabot I have one of these LRH in a .50 cal . Can I buy the bullets your using Sabotless ? Are they available or were they just experimental bullets.

They were experimental - he made them in 2010. They will not fit in a lot of Knight 50's. The older Knights, well a large group of them but not all had a .502/3 barrel. The bullet wil work in them - but anything less not much chance...

What size do you think your bore might be?

I'm not sure . I have been working a lot . I really have not shot the rifle . I bought it used . The rifle is near perfect . It came with the box and all the goods . I have always wanted to spend the time to see how well the rifle will actually shoot . I really like the way the stock fits me . The LRH fits me better than the Mountaineer . Do all the LRH have spiral fluting ?

Dougs136Schwartz said:
I'm not sure . I have been working a lot . I really have not shot the rifle . I bought it used . The rifle is near perfect . It came with the box and all the goods . I have always wanted to spend the time to see how well the rifle will actually shoot . I really like the way the stock fits me . The LRH fits me better than the Mountaineer . Do all the LRH have spiral fluting ?

Yes, as far as I know they all have the decorative fluting...

Although finding the right load, BP flame channel etc probably are factors, I'd look at the rear action screw(exclusive to this model) and ensure you are installing the "C" hanger(part#CC1) that pulls the rear tang down correctly. The ears go above the tang by sliding barrel into them first and then dropping into stock. When the bolt is put in back of trigger guard it pulls rear of action downward into stock.

I've seen several of these where guys put hanger in stock and instead of slipping tang under hanger ears, they leave it on top and then tighten screws. Tightening the rear bolt will simply pull the hanger into the inlet and when it bottoms out will still be above the inlet, thereby elevating the rear tang and as a result driving barrel into the nose of the stock.

This will essentially result in unsupported action with intense pressure points fore and aft and would easily explain 3" groups at 100.

You can read the manual but it's pretty vague in assembly disassembly instructions...

(Long Range Hunter Only) Install the barrel by first sliding the rear of the receive
into the “C” clip (CC1) and rocking the barrel into the stock. Replace and tighten
both stock screws (S14 & S15).

PS - I also torque these actions down like Savages to 35" pounds.
-Set Barrel in stock as mentioned under C hanger at rear.
-Thread and Finger tighten both screws.
-stand rifle vertical with Butt on ground so action stays rearward when tightening.
-(While squeezing barrel into stock channel until bottoms out and centers in groove)
....Tighten Front(big bolt in front of Trigger guard) to 35"#
-(While still holding into stock channel centered and bottomed out)
....Tighten Rear (rear Trigger guard screw to 35"#)

This should pull forearm of stock off barrel and be free floated back to Front action screw.
- If I cant slide a pc of printer paper folded in half between the stock and barrel all the way to action screw I get out the sand paper and the right sized socket to match the groove's profile. When I have that clearance, I reassemble and torque down as mentioned earlier.

You may experiment with a bit more or less than 35"# but that's what I use on my rifles (except stocks with metal bedding blocks like Savage Accustocks/Ruger Americans etc)and it works best for me accuracy wise, plus I know its repeatable and from my experience the POI doesn't shift after removing/replacing stock using this process.

Re: RE: Re: Knight LRH Accuracy and breech plug advice

cljohnson24 said:
PS - I also torque these actions down like Savages to 35" pounds.
-Set Barrel in stock as mentioned under C hanger at rear.
-Thread and Finger tighten both screws.
-stand rifle vertical with Butt on ground so action stays rearward when tightening.
-(While squeezing barrel into stock channel until bottoms out and centers in groove)
....Tighten Front(big bolt in front of Trigger guard) to 35"#
-(While still holding into stock channel centered and bottomed out)
....Tighten Rear (rear Trigger guard screw to 35"#)

This should pull forearm of stock off barrel and be free floated back to Front action screw.
- If I cant slide a pc of printer paper folded in half between the stock and barrel all the way to action screw I get out the sand paper and the right sized socket to match the groove's profile. When I have that clearance, I reassemble and torque down as mentioned earlier.

You may experiment with a bit more or less than 35"# but that's what I use on my rifles (except stocks with metal bedding blocks like Savage Accustocks/Ruger Americans etc)and it works best for me accuracy wise, plus I know its repeatable and from my experience the POI doesn't shift after removing/replacing stock using this process.
Thanks I will check the stock. I think I have it right but will double check, the barrel is free floating.

I know some guys have removed the rear lug . They must not be necessary because Knight did away with it on the Mountaineer ? I'm not sure why the rear lug is problematic but I know others have had accuracy issues with this particular model . I absolutely love the feel of the LRH .

FYI , The LRH was made in .45 cal. The Knight teams had them in Manufacturers Matches at Friendship. Few were made but don't know how many were sold.

Re: RE: Re: Knight LRH Accuracy and breech plug advice

45cal said:
FYI , The LRH was made in .45 cal. The Knight teams had them in Manufacturers Matches at Friendship. Few were made but don't know how many were sold.
Can I get a .45 cal barrel for my LRH? I like the stock. Knight lists a 45 cal for the mountaineer, can you make it work for the LRH?

45cal said:
I believe they were bull barreled
Doug yu shot against one in Friendship at September Nationals. Rob Root has a LHR in a .45. You both were shooting Creedmore

Latest posts

Back