Knight MK-85 Predator Stainless 54 - Stock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
New to the forum! I have a question about my mid 1990's Knight MK-85 stainless Predator model 54 caliber muzzleloader. I live in Illinois where when deer hunting they only permit slug guns or muzzle loaders. My primary deer gun is my Ithaca Deerslayer (also mid 1990's vintage) 12 gauge slug gun however we do have a muzzleloader only season. I've used my MK-85 over the years to take a few deer and it is really accurate. It came with the black/gray laminated wood stock and I am looking for a backup stock so I don't beat the laminated one up (anymore than it is). Well I quickly found out no one to include Knight makes a stock for this model. Finally I found a company that has a stock for my MK-85 must be really old inventory - Numrich Gun parts. It looks just like mine and is a green laminated stock fully inletted, not finished and it does not come with a buttpad. Finally to my question does anyone where to purchase a buttpad to fit this stock? Do they make universal buttpads that you grind to fit?

Thanks!

The Stock you see on Numrich is a Reproduction stock. Thats why they are unfinished. They may require some final action and barrel inletting too to fit your rifle. Most likely the butt end is Flat. Not sure about OEM wood/Laminated stocks for the MK-85 but at least some/most of the composite the stocks were not flat but Keyed to the pad. If when you get the stock it is flat then all you have to do is measure the Stock from Top to bottom of the butt and across the widest part of the butt. Then you can order the correct starting size pad in the Grind-to-fit pads from someone like Pachmyar or Limbsaver. You don't want to order one too large thinking you can just grind it down, it don't work like that. Depending on the style pad, you may grind into it too far and leave the Ribbing exposed in places that don't look right or grind into the internal base inside the pad that the rubber is formed around.

This is one form Pachmayer that is similar to the knight. Look under the specs tab for sizes. Brownells is a gunsmithing supply so they have several choices. I have seen them sometimes at Midway too.

PACHMAYR F325B DELUXE BLACK BASE FIELD RECOIL PAD | Brownells

Scroll down to see the grind to fit sizes from Limbsaver and there is some videos.

Classic Grind-to-fit Recoil Pad – LimbSaver Online Store

Recoil Pads - MidwayUSA

I have purchased mk85 stocks on eBay with good results. Steve has a walnut stock in the classifieds here that would work. The stocks are the same for the 54s and the 50s...and the 45s for that matter.

Limbsaver has templates you can print out to match up which recoil pad fits your stock.

I have a few factory MK85 stocks on hand including (I think) walnut,a black composite,a factory camo dipped walnut,and a couple lefthanded black synthetic stocks.These are original factory stocks.

Longbowsteve

New to the forum! I have a question about my mid 1990's Knight MK-85 stainless Predator model 54 caliber muzzleloader. I live in Illinois where when deer hunting they only permit slug guns or muzzle loaders. My primary deer gun is my Ithaca Deerslayer (also mid 1990's vintage) 12 gauge slug gun however we do have a muzzleloader only season. I've used my MK-85 over the years to take a few deer and it is really accurate. It came with the black/gray laminated wood stock and I am looking for a backup stock so I don't beat the laminated one up (anymore than it is). Well I quickly found out no one to include Knight makes a stock for this model. Finally I found a company that has a stock for my MK-85 must be really old inventory - Numrich Gun parts. It looks just like mine and is a green laminated stock fully inletted, not finished and it does not come with a buttpad. Finally to my question does anyone where to purchase a buttpad to fit this stock? Do they make universal buttpads that you grind to fit?

Thanks!
Did you try Boyds? They make beautiful stocks, including laminated ones, and they might make one for Knights.

Back