Knight MK-85 shooters - how often do you remove your breech plug for cleaning?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tannhauser

Reaction score
I just picked up an older MK-85 on Gunbroker. It came with the instruction manual.

Reading through the manual, it stated the breech plug did not require removal for cleaning every time the rifle was cleaned, and suggested perhaps once at the end of the season.

This was something of a surprise, because my other inline, Accura MR, I absolutely remove and clean the breech plug after every shooting session.

What do you experienced Knight shooters recommend?

On one hand, since this rifle has the allen screw to remove the bolt and requires the slotted tool to remove the plug it would be nice to avoid removing the plug/bolt every time.

On the other hand, I absolutely do not want any corrosion, so if plug removal needs to be done for the best maintenance, I'm doing it.

One detail, I will only be shooting 777 in this MK-85 with #11 caps, if that makes a difference.

I definitely remove the plug each and every time. It takes all of 30 seconds or so to take it out if that. I cannot think of a good reason why not to. If the slotted breech plug bothers you just buy one with a hex head. Art

Every single time i fire any of my inlines the breechplug is removed for cleaning at the end of the day, i also loosen and re tighten my plugs every 10-12 shots. maybe its good i never read the manual for my mk85 lol

If I remember right that rifle you bought is a pretty early one. Serial # somewhere around 6000 or so? I have some early rifles too and some early manuals but I don't recall that they said not to remove the plug when cleaning. In any event, remove it, clean everything up like new. Art

flounder said:
If I remember right that rifle you bought is a pretty early one. Serial # somewhere around 6000 or so? I have some early rifles too and some early manuals but I don't recall that they said not to remove the plug when cleaning. In any event, remove it, clean everything up like new. Art

I'll check the serial number later, but here are pics from the Gunbroker auction:

Attachments

• pix494412920.jpg
    pix494412920.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 455
  • pix540260041.jpg
    pix540260041.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 455
Yup, thats the one I thought you bought. Might have a Numrich barrel on it. How many grooves are their? What does the crown look like? It sure is a beautiful stock, I have one very similar. Art

I pull and clean mine every time I shoot it too. The only time I would not do so would be when hunting, then it would be only after firing last shot for season or if it got wet (Rain or snow).

Agreed clean it. Pull the plug the first and put it in a container soaking while you clean the rest of the gun. By the time your finished with everything else the fouling on the plug will clean right off.

Beautiful rifle you picked up!

Here's the section of the instruction manual I mentioned earlier.

Clearly the weight of experience is in the side of cleaning the breech plug after every shooting session.

[wattachment=0]RenderedContent-836F0806-9BBB-47D7-8943-D0B3A8B434DB.JPG[/attachment]

Attachments

• RenderedContent-97603E95-E089-4E4D-AEAC-7C17E8623510.JPG
    RenderedContent-97603E95-E089-4E4D-AEAC-7C17E8623510.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 381
  • RenderedContent-836F0806-9BBB-47D7-8943-D0B3A8B434DB.JPG
    RenderedContent-836F0806-9BBB-47D7-8943-D0B3A8B434DB.JPG
    173.4 KB · Views: 381
03mossy said:
Agreed clean it. Pull the plug the first and put it in a container soaking while you clean the rest of the gun. By the time your finished with everything else the fouling on the plug will clean right off.

Beautiful rifle you picked up!

Ditto! Yep she's purdy :yeah:

MK 85 might be one of the best inline muzzleloaders ever designed and yours looks great!

After seeing what neglect of cleaning can do to a muzzleloader, I would never risk damage to one of mine by not thoroughly cleaning it after every shooting session whether 1 shot was fired or dozens.

That there is a very early manual that you got with your rifle. Does it have a date on it? I assume around 1989. My earliest mk 85's didn't have a manual with them when I bought them on gunbroker. The earliest manual I have around here is 1992 and that one says to remove the plug and clean after every shooting. I just love the looks of your rifle, anxious to hear your first range report!
Art

PS I see your manual is also for the BK 89. If I remember right that is the 36 caliber squirrel rifle. Oh, if I could get my mitts on one of those......

Latest posts

Back