Knight MK-85 with BH 209???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdespot

Reaction score
I'm new to this site, so this question may have already been asked before, but has anyone had any experience using a Knight MK-85 with the Blackhorn 209 powder? I know BH 209 is not meant for #11 caps and I have converted my MK-85 to the 209 primer set up with the red FPJ. From what I have read about BH, I would certainly like to switch from T7 if possible. Just wondering if anyone with a similar setup as mine has tried the BH 209 and what kind of results they had with it. I would hate to purchase a container of it and find out that it won't work in my gun. I talked with a Knight Tech about this, and he said they are still in the testing stage, so they are not able to provide that info. Thanks for any feedback.

TD

I hope this might help. A friend of mine has a MK-85 and we recently shot it with BH209, and found out that you need a very tight fitting sabot and bullet combo. If not you will most likely get a mis-fire or hang-fire. Try a tight fitting 300gr. and it should shoot well!

I would be interested in hearing what happens to the Primers. Do they stay in one piece, cock the hammer, and/or become projectiles?

I have a .50 cal MK-85 that I tried BH209 in. The best ignition combo I found using a #11 cap or musket cap still created bad hang fires.

I also have a .45 cal Wolverine 209 that uses the red FPJ. I have installed the Wolverine's 209 plunger and breech plug in the MK-85 to see if it would fit and it did. I have not shot the MK-85 with the Wolverines 209 plunger and breech plug but it should work. I say all of that to share what my experience is with the Wolverine 209 and BH209, which should be very similar to the MK-85 with the 209 conversion kit since it seems to be the same parts that are on my Wolverine 209.

In the Wolverine 209 I use 110 gr of BH209, .40 cal SST/SW, Harvester smooth light blue .45/.40 cal sabot and Winchester 209 shotgun primer in the red FPJ. Not on every shot but on some I will get the primer lifting a bit out of the primer cup or all of the way out. On one or two occassions out of close to 50 shots it has re-cocked the plunger. I plan to do more testing at some time with 100 gr of BH209 and also test with Federal 209A shotgun primers.

Thanks for the info. I'll pack it tight, use a hot primer, wear my eye protection and see what happens. Hopefully, it works well.

Will do, but it will have to warm up a bit. Been below twenty degrees here and that's too cold to sit at a bench - at least for me.

Back