Knight Mountaineer .50 Loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthNJHunter

Reaction score
I have a Knight Mountaineer .50 with a bare primer bp. I'm shooting Bloodline 250 gr but they are on the expensive side. I whitetail hunt with the gun. What bullets do you recommend that won't break the bank? Thanks.

Maybe try some xtp or gold dot bullets alot of guys have luck with them.

Lehigh has new copper controlled fracture bullets in 230gr, 240gr and 265gr for a buck each.

i shoot 3 Knight Disc Extremes 50 cal, all with the Bare Primer Breech Plug and the new Mountaineer Bolt Housing. I use BH 209 exclusively. I've had great luck with Harvester's 300 Gr PT Gold, black crush Rib Sabot, 110 gr of BH 209 and Winchester's regular 209 Primer. It's a very accurate load and performs well on Game. You can buy in bulk from the factory. The staff is really helpful and great to deal with. Their 260 GR bullet is a good shooter as well, but where I hunt in West Texas we have Axis, Fallow and Aoudad and longer shots are not uncommon, so I opt for the heavier bullet with better down range ballistics.

I'm changing scopes right now and plan on trying some of the lighter Bloodlines etc. I'll let you know how they work out,

NorthNJHunter said:
I have a Knight Mountaineer .50 with a bare primer bp. I'm shooting Bloodline 250 gr but they are on the expensive side. I whitetail hunt with the gun. What bullets do you recommend that won't break the bank? Thanks.

As mentioned Lehigh is now offering 3 different copper bullets. They are manufactured differently than most production bullets in that they are turned on a CNC lathe as are the Bloodlines but they are less expensive...

The new 451x230 CF-HP is a great deer bullet...

Lehigh_451x230_CF-_HP.jpg

This is only a 75 yard target - shot using a TC Renegade with open sights. The shot out of the group is really my fault... I have not shot the rifle in a long time and I forget when you set the set trigger how easy it is to pull the fire trigger - but still a good target

Lehigh_451-230.jpg

This ballistic sheet shows the possibilities of this bullet...

Lehigh_451x230_CF-HP.jpg

Also should add for target practice and fun shooting I sub a Sierra bullet in - lots cheaper to shoot and shoots very close to the Lehigh

250_250_8805.jpg

https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/pro ... 230-gr-JHP

NorthNJHunter said:

I just picked up a new Mountaineer too in 50. I will be trying my old standby load that Ive used in my CVA's with excellent success;

300 gr Missouri Pinbuster .430 over 70 gr BH209

or

300 gr XTP .430 over 85 gr BH209

Both did really well for me with Eastern whitetails and they are very affordable.

Ive been experimenting with Missouri 405gr .458 Hardcast over 70 gr BH 209.

The point is, going with "Muzzleloader" specific bullets isnt the only answer. Lots of pistol pullets out there

NorthNJHunter said:

You probably can't get much better of a bullet for a hunting bullet, but yes... to shoot them all the time can be expensive.

When it comes to loading for a hunt, I'd stick with the Bloodlines. For just shooting without breaking the bank .. XTP's are super cheap and good bullets, and also a favorite for hunters. Also, the Deep Curls are starting to show up again... for hunting I like the 240's or 300's. They have worked perfectly for me on Eastern Whitetails. I'm not a big fan of the DC's with the huge hollowpoint.

240gr Deep Curl

300gr Deep Curl

My go to bullet in my 50s, Savage ml2 - rem 700ML - Omega, is the Speer 300 grain .458 FN. It has a thick jacket but gives super terminal performance. Only thing heavier in construction is the Barnes Original. For a cheaper paper punch bullet I just shoot the Rem 300 in .458 but with the thin jacket and huge hollowpoint it is kinda fragile on the terminal end but flies same as the Speer. I give the bullets a light knurl and shoot them in the black crush rib sabots. The accuracy is superb out to 300 with a good scope. My results, yours may be different. W

This year I'm going to try the Thor line in the 700ML and Omega but stay SML with the ML2. I'll see what the results are.

Was able to take out my Mountaineer for the 1st time yesterday.... After some sighting in I started playing around with some loads. One that looks promising is 80 gr by volume BH209 under 44 cal 300 gr XTP in a green crushrib sabot. Didnt get to chrono the load yet so not a solid read on velocity but so far at 75 yards Im under an inch without even trying.

The 300 XTP is one of my favorites. Don't be afraid of pushing the volume up a little. Most every 300 grain bullet shoots well with 100-110 gains of BH 209 or T7.

I'm a penny pincher. What I do, is sight in, practice and recreational shoot with XTPs or whatever I can get a bargain on. I love Hornady blems too! Then, when it's time to hunt, I load up a premium bullet( Lehighs are my choice ). Its usually on a few shots to zero in or really just to verify POI and I'm GTG.

I like the premium performance but dont want high cost to restrict my range time. Truth be told, any bullet cost is not that big of a deal once you carve out time, drive to the range, etc. etc.

Have fun with the new gun.

I have used the 250 grain XTP bullet a lot with my 50's. My load is often at 110 grains of B209.

As long as shot placement is reasonable, they work fine.

Back