Knight mountaineer barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
macon county boy said:
Would a knight mountaineer barrel fit on my 45 disc elite?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yes, I believe it will - if it is an Elite stock

This is my Mountaineer in a Knight DISC Thumbhole composite stock

Mountaineer.jpg

I do not like the bulkyness of the Mountaineer stock.

sabotloader said:
macon county boy said:

Mountaineer.jpg

And the long reach to the trigger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: RE: Re: Knight mountaineer barrel

herschel conyers said:
sabotloader said:
macon county boy said:

Mountaineer.jpg

And the long reach to the trigger.

I'm actually wanting to put a 1:20 barrel on my disc

It could be done... will not be cheap! Your current rifle the barrel and the receiver are all one piece.

It would probably be less expensive to just buy a new 1-20 Knight Mountaineer...

Check with Jeff @ Bestill Creations.

The long reach to the trigger is really easy to fix so that isn't/wasn't a problem for me. You can not see it real well in this picture - but I just took the Knight recoil pad off and installed a new Limbsaver pad. Reduces the LOP by 1/2" or just cut the stock to the length you want and install a new Limbsaver pad.

SnowCamo.jpg

sabotloader said:
It could be done... will not be cheap! Your current rifle the barrel and the receiver are all one piece.

It would probably be less expensive to just buy a new 1-20 Knight Mountaineer...

Ya I really like my old disc elite.i think I'm just gonna buy a mountaineer 1:20

macon county boy said:
sabotloader said:

Ya I really like my old disc elite.i think I'm just gonna buy a mountaineer 1:20

I know the old 1-30 twist gets a lot of flack today - but the rifle is really a good rifle, and very accurate. I did get mine to shoot the Lehigh/Bloodline 40x200CF-HP really well. A fellow forum member even havested an Ohio Whitetail @ nearly 400 yards with one. This picture shows the old Lehigh/Knight 40x200 and the new Lehigh 40x195CF-HP. The new 40x195 shoots really well from the 1-30

Lehigh_40x200_CF_Brass-Copper.jpg

Another great bullet that Lehigh made was the 40x230CF-HP - it definitely was to long to stabilize in a 1-30 twist but I tried

230FTa.jpg

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Knight mountaineer barrel

sabotloader said:
macon county boy said:
sabotloader said:

I know the old 1-30 twist gets a lot of flack today - but the rifle is really a good rifle, and very accurate. I did get mine to shoot the Lehigh/Bloodline 40x200CF-HP really well. A fellow forum member even havested an Ohio Whitetail @ nearly 400 yards with one. This picture shows the old Lehigh/Knight 40x200 and the new Lehigh 40x195CF-HP. The new 40x195 shoots really well from the 1-30

Lehigh_40x200_CF_Brass-Copper.jpg

Another great bullet that Lehigh made was the 40x230CF-HP - it definitely was to long to stabilize in a 1-30 twist but I tried

230FTa.jpg
I dont know if mines a freak of nature or what but I can shoot 3 same hole groups at 100yds.With 110 gr. Bh209 and 195 barnes with harvester cr sabot.ive never tried a bare bullet.mine has bare primer conversion

sabotloader said:

The long reach to the trigger is really easy to fix so that isn't/wasn't a problem for me. You can not see it real well in this picture - but I just took the Knight recoil pad off and installed a new Limbsaver pad. Reduces the LOP by 1/2" or just cut the stock to the length you want and install a new Limbsaver pad.

SnowCamo.jpg
Wasn’t talking about the length of pull. The distance from the thumb hole grip (mountaineer laminated stock) is 3/8” longer to the trigger than the disc extreme thumbhole stock. I’ve been looking for a composition thumbhole disc stock to make the mountaineer more user friendly.

O - I never noticed that... but I never really used the thumbhole stock that came with the rifle - I switched it out right away to DISC composite thumbhole stock.

I think the Knight laminates are made by Boyds. Quite a few people have mentioned the Boyds TH stocks have a longer reach to the trigger from the TH. I would say my hands are about average to large and the Knight composite THs are fine for me. Ive never handled a Knight or Boyds laminate TH.

They only thing ive done similar is putting a LRH barrel/action in a DISC Elite composite stock. It was a straight drop in. IIRC the Elite, LRH, Mountaineer and Ultra Lite all share the same style recoil lug. The old Extreme had a different lug but some newer Knight stocks have been cut to handle either lug.

My old Extreme TH stock was modified to handle an Elite lug. Pretty simple modification. Knight never offered the Elite in a TH stock.

GM54-120 said:
I think the Knight laminates are made by Boyds.

They are

Quite a few people have mentioned the Boyds TH stocks have a longer reach to the trigger from the TH. I would say my hands are about average to large and the Knight composite THs are fine for me. Ive never handled a Knight or Boyds laminate TH.

They only thing ive done similar is putting a LRH barrel/action in a DISC Elite composite stock. It was a straight drop in. IIRC the Elite, LRH, Mountaineer and Ultra Lite all share the same style recoil lug. The old Extreme had a different lug but some newer Knight stocks have been cut to handle either lug.

Correct on both statements

My old Extreme TH stock was modified to handle an Elite lug. Pretty simple modification. Knight never offered the Elite in a TH stock.

sabotloader said:
GM54-120 said:
I think the Knight laminates are made by Boyds.

They are

Quite a few people have mentioned the Boyds TH stocks have a longer reach to the trigger from the TH. I would say my hands are about average to large and the Knight composite THs are fine for me. Ive never handled a Knight or Boyds laminate TH.

Correct on both statements

I know you can get your lop done by Boyd's and buy smaller butt pads I've done that on several boyd stocks

It has nothing to do with length of pull. It has to do with hand size. Distance from your thumb to trigger finger.

Fast forward to about the 55sec mark
[youtube]6sXfVkRpLmQ[/youtube]

GM54-120 said:
It has nothing to do with length of pull. It has to do with hand size. Distance from your thumb to trigger finger.
Ok I've ran prolly 30 Boyd's stocks and never noticed it

macon county boy said:
GM54-120 said:
Ok I've ran prolly 30 Boyd's stocks and never noticed it

Well, I shot the Mountaineer stock several times in a range sessions but I con not say I ever noticed the difference either. But as GM says hand size certainly could be a factor.

Yes if your hands are bigger than average you are probably fine. I think it was Doug that ran into this also but of course the needs of a target shooter are more refined than a hunter. 10ths of an inch group size can be all it takes to lose a match.

I have a Boyd’s thumbhole varmit on my ruger 77-44 and the fit is perfect. Not so with the mountaineer, as stated above. I watched the video above and have the exact same problem as the man in the video. Thanks for sharing the video.

Latest posts

Back