Knight Mountaineer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIDeerhunter67

Reaction score
Howdy,

I haven’t been on in a while, I’m looking into getting a knight mountaineer .50 cal left hand with the thumbhole, here in Michigan I’m looking for a killer 100 yard whitetail load and gun. 450s have taken over, I did have a TC Impact which I liked but I’m looking for something a little nicer.The mountaineer has caught my eye, any advice or reviews on it, how about some suggested loads, I’m planning on blackhorn, is it good to go with that powder right out of the box? Also, I’m gonna get the full plastic primer sleeve, should I go with a bare primer. Looking for advice and reviews thanks.

Im not a FPJ fan but you have 2 other options

1) Get the FPJ model but also buy the Lehigh NFPJ adapter and the Lehigh bare primer breech plug. Thats around another $40 total.
2) Get the bare primer bolt body model and also buy just the Lehigh breech plug. Thats around another $25 total.

Bare primer is more reliable with BH209 and much cleaner. It may require minor shimming for good primer fit but that is quite simple to do.

i own a knight mountaineer 50 cal. very nice to shoot. my current load is a 420gr no excusses with 80 gr by volume bh209. very accurate at 75 100 yrds. i did end my barrel to bestill to upgrage my breech plug for more reliable and cleaner ignition he does excellent work very informative. in my opinion they should be better than they are out of the box for the price. with a few upgrades you have a nice smoke pole

Don’t best me down, but I’ve killed a pile of deer with my stock mountaineer from 25 to 205 reliably without a hitch. I’ve had the gun 3 years and killed over 10 deer with it. 120 grains triple 7, scorpion pt 260’s, and FPJ’s. I absolutely love the gun and wouldn’t trade it for anything. Enjoy your new rifle!

i own a knight mountaineer 50 cal. very nice to shoot. my current load is a 420gr no excusses with 80 gr by volume bh209. very accurate at 75 100 yrds. i did end my barrel to bestill to upgrage my breech plug for more reliable and cleaner ignition he does excellent work very informative. in my opinion they should be better than they are out of the box for the price. with a few upgrades you have a nice smoke pole
Couldn’t agree more!

All i ever did to the vast majority of Knights ive owned is add the Lehigh bare primer conversion. Everyone was nearly perfect after changing over. They just had to use a Win209 for a good fit. A new plug from Knight cost more than the Lehigh plug. The Bestill plug is nicer but its also $80 and up depending if you can take some measurements yourself. I have one of those too because i wanted a better plug for the Fed209A.

Even CVAs need a plug upgrade for BH209 so its pretty nit picky to complain about it. Especially when the Lehigh is machined from 17-4 SS and has a removable vent liner. The Knight plug is 416 and the vent is brazed in place. Using a removable vent could cause Knight to have a patent problem with Savage or Henry Ball if they came with the rifle.

Last edited:
All i ever did to the vast majority of Knights ive owned is add the Lehigh bare primer conversion. Everyone was nearly perfect after changing over. They just had to use a Win209 for a good fit. A new plug from Knight cost more than the Lehigh plug. The Bestill plug is nicer but its also $80 and up depending if you can take some measurements yourself. I have one of those too because i wanted a better plug for the Fed209A.

Even CVAs need a plug upgrade for BH209 so its pretty nit picky to complain about it. Especially when the Lehigh is machined from 17-4 SS and has a removable vent liner. The Knight plug is 416 and the vent is brazed in place. Using a removable vent could cause Knight to have a patent problem with Savage or Henry Ball if they came with the rifle.
Ditto

I have a bunch of knight bolt guns... with the exception of one that needed some shims, all the others have perfect headspace with the lehigh bare primer setup.

Knight bolts are great guns imho, my preference if buying a new one would be the fast twist UL .45. Its legal anywhere I would hunt, and fits my hunting style well.

Back