Knight Mountaineer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idahoron

Reaction score
A friend of mine has never owned a Muzzleloader called me and I think he is going to order one in a Western states legal model #11 cap.
I have not kept up with inlines. How is the Mountaineer with a #11 ignition? What is the options for a peep?

Doesn't answer your question but your friend may find this useful. I have a bare primer Mountaineer. Perfect gun if you are in a tree stand or blind but it is heavy if you have to lug it around.

A friend of mine has never owned a Muzzleloader called me and I think he is going to order one in a Western states legal model #11 cap.
I have not kept up with inlines. How is the Mountaineer with a #11 ignition? What is the options for a peep?

Ron, I believe Sabotloader has or did have a Western Mountaineer and/or UL. He would be a great resource.
Personally I would choose a UL as it fits my style of hunting better, being lighter and more maneuverable. If I only hunted out of a stand, the Mountaineer would be fine.

Mountaineer with t/h stock to me was a very awkward feeling gun didnt like carrying it or shooting from treestand even though i did kill deer with it and it was very accurate.. with a regular straight stock probably be alot nicer but sold mine and never found out.
I would think it would be just as reliable as any of the other knights with #11caps.
My choice would be Ultralight or Disc Extreme though.

ULite is a better hunting rifle and the Mountaineer is a better long range rifle. An Extreme would be a reasonable compromise of the 2. You can custom order it with the ULite stock i believe if you want to save about a pound in weight.

You can always get a ULite and order a Mountaineer barrel later for around $350.

ULite is a better hunting rifle and the Mountaineer is a better long range rifle. An Extreme would be a reasonable compromise of the 2. You can custom order it with the ULite stock i believe if you want to save about a pound in weight. That is a great plan, you basically get the best of both worlds, and reasonably priced in my opinion. the ultra lite stock is truly amazing, and the mountaineer barrel fits right in

You can always get a ULite and order a Mountaineer barrel later for around $350.

It honestly really surprises me that he is even considering getting a muzzleloader. I found a couple older Knights locally for 350 and under but he is planning to get a new one. Again which really surprises me.
He is looking at some short range hunts and some muzzleloader only hunts that will allow him to hunt a friends property.
We talked about the UL but he wants a heavier gun. He is thinking the more weight will help with recoil. I told him that in the short range hunts that he can use sabots that will reduce recoil.
I'm thinking he is going to go with the Mountaineer. He wont be shooting it over 100 yards I don't think.

Doesn't answer your question but your friend may find this useful. I have a bare primer Mountaineer. Perfect gun if you are in a tree stand or blind but it is heavy if you have to lug it around.
Your comment kinda throws me for abit of a loop " perfect for a treestand/too heavy to lug around" . How are ya gonna get to your treestand without luggin your gun around to get there? Do y'all get to hunt where you can drive your truck or 4wheeler right up to the tree you're in? I've hunted out of many a permanent built treestands since I was a youngin with anything from several hundred yds to over a mile to get to a particular stand. Then I got myself a Summit Viper selfclimber & a gps & really expanded by hunting ranges. The Omega was fantastic for all of that. Luggin my gun around was a normal part of hunting. I love my Paramount, but its the wrong gun to take along with a self climber & a hike in the woods. My Accura V2 .45 is perfect for that bill. If I was hunting where I could drive my truck or 4wheeler right up to the big treehouse on legs with chairs & windows I'd absolutely leave my accura home & bring the Paramount every time. Same diff between the two knights.

I have 2 Mountaineers, 1 in .50 cal and 1 in .45 cal. I put a Ultra Lite stock on my .50 cal and really enjoy it. My .45 cal has a thumb hole stock, the only thing l don’t like about the wood thumb hole is the trigger reach, the grip for me is a little cumbersome. Both are great shooters, currently on the bench l’m getting 3” patterns with a 420 grain lead conical and open sights at 200 yards. No doubt the Ulite is great as well it just came down my personal preference and the fact most of the country l hunt is wide open and 100 to 150 yard shots are common.
Other folks l hunt with have all drank the “knight juice” as well. One hunts with the disc extreme and is getting 3” accuracy with lead conicals at 150. We all shoot #11 primers since most of our hunting is in western states.
We have all done well with #11’s in a variety of weather from super hot desert to below 0 and 2 feet of snow. Mostly what l’ve noticed with knights is it comes down to what feels best in the shooters hands. Everyone l know personally has not regretted there purchase regardless of which knight rifle they went with. Once we figure out the load that the gun likes (powder charge, bullet, and wad) as well as make sight upgrades, it’s pretty much as smiles and a new addiction. Good luck, I don’t think you can go wrong with any of these choices as long as you put the time into load development, sights, and correct trigger adjustments.

It honestly really surprises me that he is even considering getting a muzzleloader. I found a couple older Knights locally for 350 and under but he is planning to get a new one. Again which really surprises me.
He is looking at some short range hunts and some muzzleloader only hunts that will allow him to hunt a friends property.
We talked about the UL but he wants a heavier gun. He is thinking the more weight will help with recoil. I told him that in the short range hunts that he can use sabots that will reduce recoil.
I'm thinking he is going to go with the Mountaineer. He wont be shooting it over 100 yards I don't think.

There is definitely nothing wrong with the Mountaineer, I actually like a Heavier Rifle. I bought mine for Target/Bench Shooting, I LOVED The Thumbhole stock for my application, But I wouldn’t have the Thumbhole for Hunting.

The thing that caught me with the U-Lite was how well it Handled, The Feel of the Stocks, Fit & Finish, Recoil with 350 Grain Bullets was NOT a Problem. And accuracy to 200 Yards (Farthest we shot that day) was EXCELLENT. Knight knocked that one out of the Park (The U-Lite) I don’t feel the Name “Ultra-Lite” was the Best Name for the Rifle, When i think Ultra-light, i automatically think thin, Tapered Barrel, Cross Hairs BOUNCE with your Heartbeat, and HARSH Recoil. I can say from hands on experience that The Ultra-Lite shoots & handles NOTHING like any Ultralight Rifle i have ever Shot/Handled. It takes quite a Bit to impress me, The Knight Ultra-Lite Impressed me. If i were an inline guy, I would own one FOR SURE

He won’t go wrong with either Rifle, Both are AWESOME :lewis:

Last edited:
There is definitely nothing wrong with the Mountaineer, I actually like a Heavier Rifle. I bought mine for Target/Bench Shooting, I LOVED The Thumbhole stock for my application, But I wouldn’t have the Thumbhole for Hunting.

The thing that caught me with the U-Lite was how well it Handled, The Feel of the Stocks, Fit & Finish, Recoil with 350 Grain Bullets was NOT a Problem. And accuracy to 200 Yards (Farthest we shot that day) was EXCELLENT. Knight knocked that one out of the Park (The U-Lite) I don’t feel the Name “Ultra-Lite” was the Best Name for the Rifle, When i think Ultra-light, i automatically think thin, Tapered Barrel, Cross Hairs BOUNCE with your Heartbeat, and HARSH Recoil. I can say from hands on experience that The Ultra-Lite shoots & handles NOTHING like any Ultralight Rifle i have ever Shot/Handled. It takes quite a Bit to impress me, The Knight Ultra-Lite Impressed me. If i were an inline guy, I would own one FOR SURE

He won’t go wrong with either Rifle, Both are AWESOME :lewis:
Great read, fair n honest facts. TY

for what it’s worth, i cant put the ultra lite down, what a piece of muzzleloader art in my opinion, pure hunting machine, I don’t know if you can get a better gun for the money, feels perfect for me

Your comment kinda throws me for abit of a loop " perfect for a treestand/too heavy to lug around" . How are ya gonna get to your treestand without luggin your gun around to get there? Do y'all get to hunt where you can drive your truck or 4wheeler right up to the tree you're in? I've hunted out of many a permanent built treestands since I was a youngin with anything from several hundred yds to over a mile to get to a particular stand. Then I got myself a Summit Viper selfclimber & a gps & really expanded by hunting ranges. The Omega was fantastic for all of that. Luggin my gun around was a normal part of hunting. I love my Paramount, but its the wrong gun to take along with a self climber & a hike in the woods. My Accura V2 .45 is perfect for that bill. If I was hunting where I could drive my truck or 4wheeler right up to the big treehouse on legs with chairs & windows I'd absolutely leave my accura home & bring the Paramount every time. Same diff between the two knights.

OK here is the scenario.

Carrying a mountaineer to a stand is a non issue. With a sling it is on my shoulder and you don't really notice the weight. In a tree stand or blind it is at the ready for any deer that comes within range. Perfect weapon.

Different story while stalking or still hunting. Yes you can wander around with the Mountaineer slung on your shoulder but you are not ready to shoot if you suddenly see anything. Carrying it with both arms in a state of readiness is where the problem starts. It is heavy and after a while it becomes uncomfortable to carry. This is where a lighter gun would prevail as you could carry it comfortably for much longer, ready to mount and shoot.

OK here is the scenario.

Carrying a mountaineer to a stand is a non issue. With a sling it is on my shoulder and you don't really notice the weight. In a tree stand or blind it is at the ready for any deer that comes within range. Perfect weapon.

Different story while stalking or still hunting. Yes you can wander around with the Mountaineer slung on your shoulder but you are not ready to shoot if you suddenly see anything. Carrying it with both arms in a state of readiness is where the problem starts. It is heavy and after a while it becomes uncomfortable to carry. This is where a lighter gun would prevail as you could carry it comfortably for much longer, ready to mount and shoot.
I'm right with ya now. Thanks for elaborating a lil bit.

Latest posts

Back