Knight Original 45 Caliber Super Disc

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bburley

Reaction score
I have an original Knight 45 caliber Super Disc with 1:20 twist fluted barrel with new Lehigh Conversion for bare primers.

Question: What bullets, powder, loads and primers work best for my setup? What are the ballistics for these?

Welcome to the forum, from Las Vegas!

Awesome - didn’t know Knight made any 45s with that fast twist. What kind of bullet/sabot are you looking to shoot? Hunting?

Yes, Knight made these and they are somewhat rare, especially if they are in good condition. Sabotloader (forum member) can provide some good info if he sees this post.

A fast twist 45 opens up many possibilities for load combos. If you want to try 45 cal. bullets with no sabot, I would suggest getting a sizing die from Swing-Lock or Hankins, it's worth the investment.

One sabot load that I like to shoot, is a Light Blue Harvester sabot with a 200 gr SST bullet. Shooting full bore 45 cal. bullets, a 250-300 gr XTP usually shoots well and are easy to size. There are many good bullets to choose from after you experiment some. Arrowhead, Pittman, Fury are some of the bullet sellers that come to mind and offer many good choices for the range and hunting.

Long, heavy, lead bullets may be an option too. I haven't tried any yet but many have good success with the big lead bullet.

Primers that work well for me, Federal 209A, CCIM, and Winchesters. I believe Winchesters are still some of the longest primers, so If you get any leakage, those may be a good option for you.

Powders that I like, BlackHorn 209 and loose Triple 7. I usually shoot close to max loads because that works good for me.

Welcome to the forum, from Las Vegas!

Awesome - didn’t know Knight made any 45s with that fast twist. What kind of bullet/sabot are you looking to shoot? Hunting?
I am wanting something that I can use to whitetail deer at ranges up to 250 yds.

A fast twist 45 opens up many possibilities for load combos. If you want to try 45 cal. bullets with no sabot, I would suggest getting a sizing die from Swing-Lock or Hankins, it's worth the investment.

One sabot load that I like to shoot, is a Light Blue Harvester sabot with a 200 gr SST bullet. Shooting full bore 45 cal. bullets, a 250-300 gr XTP usually shoots well and are easy to size. There are many good bullets to choose from after you experiment some. Arrowhead, Pittman, Fury are some of the bullet sellers that come to mind and offer many good choices for the range and hunting.

Long, heavy, lead bullets may be an option too. I haven't tried any yet but many have good success with the big lead bullet.

Primers that work well for me, Federal 209A, CCIM, and Winchesters. I believe Winchesters are still some of the longest primers, so If you get any leakage, those may be a good option for you.

Powders that I like, BlackHorn 209 and loose Triple 7. I usually shoot close to max loads because that works good for me.
This is very helpful. Thanks much for the information.

Ive got three fast twist Knight .45s now. 2 Original discs and an Ultra Lite. If you can shoot well enough, then that rifle is up to the task. Ive shot bore sized bullets from 200 to +400gr and saboted from 180 to 300gr. i expect you’ll find something around 250-275 to be ideal. I only shoot bh209 in mine. 80gr, volume, max for lead bullets but 90-110grV for sabots or jacketed bullets.

I have two of these Original DISC rifles. Both shoot 90gr weighed BH with a sized Fury .45 STB and .462 dia .060 thick veggie wad very well. One of my two rifles has a Bestill two piece BP that shoots the best. The other has a Lehigh BP. Federal 209A primers work great for me.

Ive got three fast twist Knight .45s now. 2 Original discs and an Ultra Lite. If you can shoot well enough, then that rifle is up to the task. Ive shot bore sized bullets from 200 to +400gr and saboted from 180 to 300gr. i expect you’ll find something around 250-275 to be ideal. I only shoot bh209 in mine. 80gr, volume, max for lead bullets but 90-110grV for sabots or jacketed bullets.
Great information. Thanks much!

I have an original 1-20 also that's blued with the thumbhole composite stock that I done the lehigh conversion on. Have yet to shoot it but will likely try the barnes 195 1st after having seen so many on here recommend them. Budsgunshop.com has them $24.99/24 pack with free shipping if you spend at least $200. Good luck to you & welcome to good company here.

I have an original 1-20 also that's blued with the thumbhole composite stock that I done the lehigh conversion on. Have yet to shoot it but will likely try the barnes 195 1st after having seen so many on here recommend them. Budsgunshop.com has them $24.99/24 pack with free shipping if you spend at least $200. Good luck to you & welcome to good company here.
Thank you!

Back