Knight Original Disc Help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLP

Reaction score
I'm looking at a Knight Original Disc in .45. Attached is a pic of the breech area, it does not have a nipple, just the plug with threads for a nipple. Is this the Western Legal Breech Plug? What type of nipple would it use? What is needed to make the gun fire 209 primers using orange discs? Can it use newer red FPJ? Also, does it cock the same way the LK-93 does....pull back on the rear of the bolt? Thanks for any assistance!!

Attachments

• Knight Breech Area.JPG
    Knight Breech Area.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Knight Breech Area 3.jpg
    Knight Breech Area 3.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Knight Bolt 2.jpg
    Knight Bolt 2.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 46
Original DISC plugs just had a hole in them. The hole is not threaded. They use the orange DISCs.

It uses Orange Discs, as is.
To use Red discs you will need a new bolt. The Extreme bolt conversion is available from Knight and will set you back a couple hundred bucks. I dont believe its any better than the Orange Discs, but to switch to a good 'bare primer' setup you will need the Extreme bolt.
It doesnt cock like the 93. The knob on the back is your secondary safety. When ready to fire you want that rear knob turned out til the red paint is showing in front of it.
You cock it like most other bolt guns, just lift the handle and pull it back till it stops(1/2"), load your primer, and push the handle fwd and down. Safety on the right side is the trigger safety, rear knob is the firing pin/bolt safety.

Could it be possible he does have a western legal breach plug? One can't really tell from his pics. If its threaded on the orange disc side i would say that's what he has. On Knights website they show that plug and a musket cap nipple for it under the parts section of the original DISC. I have one but haven't tried to use it as I am not sure I don't need to also change the internals for the bolt. Not sure the 209 striker within the bolt would function properly on a musket cap.

Lifting the bolt handle will put the rifle in battery ready to fire position.

Looking the third picture it appers to me that the secondary safety at the rear of the bolt is turned all the way in the bolt will not function correctly this way. Turn the secondary safety (the knurled knob on the rear of the bolt counterclockwise until it stops turning. then the bolt will work correctly. After you lift the bolt handle pull the bolt back. It should move back and forth a 1/2" or so. If it does then you have the newer DISC Extreme/Elite bolt.

If it doesn't pull back you have an Original DISC bolt.

I appreciate all the responses. Central KY is in the middle of a lovely ice storm so everything is shut down. I will try and take better pics of bolt face and breech next week. Without knowing the exact configuration...... what ball park should I expect to pay for this ML?

WV Hunter- the entire serial number is in the above pic.

Attached is another pic of barrel markings.

Attachments

• Knight Barrel Markings.jpg
    Knight Barrel Markings.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 24
Certainly could be a Super DISC

Serial number change for the .45 twist rate was anything prior to #2291 on mild steel and #5043 on stainless were 1:20 twist.

If the serial number fits - then it is a 1-20 and right now is a 'in demand' rifle so the price is elevated, depending on the condition of the bore and the type of bolt that is in the rifle.

After reading the responses, I was able today to look again at the breech area. It is as GM 54-120 stated....original Disk configuration.
Sabotloader: I unscrewed the secondary safety, and the bolt will only lift up, allowing the gun to be cocked; there was no rearward motion, just lifting up or down. Rotate the bolt closed and the firing pin releases; open bolt and the gun cocks; sounds like an original Disk bolt.
Bore looks OK, no pitting. So what is and original Disk 1-20 twist selling for?

Without putting a scope down the bore, and knowing that it has a trigger issue, i would not offer more than $300. Only that much because its a 1:20". If it were a 1:30" i wouldnt go higher than $200.

What I was writing about the firing pin was not worded correctly. The firing pin releases only when the trigger is pulled, so no trigger issue.

Latest posts

Back