Knight Ultra Lite - Western Edition

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
It has finally arrived and while this thread is written basically from the Western standpoint - I think it does have some information for those of you that might be interested in the rifle from the modern ML stand point...

The rifle has arrived and I must really say that I was and am more impressed with the rifle than I really thought I would be. A couple of things I knew going into this project. I really wanted this rifle basically because of weight. It weighs just slightly over 6# from the factory.

Knight was able to reduce the weight of this rifle basically by offering a completely new stock assembly. At the same time as they moved to the Kevlar stock they incorporated a aluminum bedding block into the stock. The block along with the cantilever recoil lug (commonly called a 'forked recoil lug) offers the rifle stability never seen in a Knight rifle before. The Kevlar stock offered on many high end rifles offers durable construction with a greatly reduced weight factor.

Another thing Knight accomplished with the help of their partner Green Mountain Barrels - they contoured the barrel even more than the old Knight DISC Elite. Looking at the nose and crown of the new Ultra Lite you might be surprised at the 'slimness'

It is my belief this new stock and the added machining that Green Mountain had to accomplish was a very difficult decision for Knight. These two decisions were going to drive the cost of one of these rifles far beyond the every day price of other available muzzleloaders out there. I believe it was a tough decision and one that I am glad they made. I also believe that the are people out there that will opt for this rifle even though with the price. I am pretty sure that Knight knows that not everyone is going to run out and buy this rifle. Myself, I have been terribly bitten by the ML disease. I now hunt all year with a ML, both the regular rifle season here in Idaho and ML season. My center fire rifles have become safe dwellers.

Since, I have chosen to hunt both rifle and ML season with the same rifle. Because of this the rifle I choose to use I want it to have a lot of versatility, in that I want to scope and use 209 primers during rifle season, yet during ML season I have to return to cap ignition and for me here I have to shoot full bore lead conicals. The Ultra Lite allows that versatility as does the Extreme. So it really comes down the weight factor and some added features of Ultra lite.

As mentioned the weight factor is key, a couple of other added features to this rifle not found in the DISC is the Pacmayr recoil pad, the fully adjustable match grade trigger, and the higher tolerances held in the Mountaineer series rifles just to mention a few off the top of my head.

Here a few pictures of the new rifle?

WesternEditionpg1.jpg

WesternEditionpg2.jpg

For us western hunters, I have been told that Bob?s has 4 of the new rifles coming in shortly and Wholesale Sports or soon to be again Sportsmans Whse. will be getting a good order in later in the spring. Both of these dealers should beat the Knight price easily? but then again demand has a lot to do with price?

Hopefully I will get an opportunity to shoot the new rifle soon?

Sabotloader,

The rifle is beautiful. It will certainly be a T7 shooting machine in Western configuration. I like the peep sight setup. I have been considering a similar setup for my MK85.

I am looking forward to your range report.

Looks Great!
did you have to order additional parts for shooting it with 209 primers?
how about a pic of the muzzle end?

shguns said:
Looks Great!
did you have to order additional parts for shooting it with 209 primers?
how about a pic of the muzzle end?

Yes, if you want to be able to convert it back to a regular Knight - you have to get a different bolt housing and a different breech plug

Grouse took this picture for me of his regular Knight 50 cal. Extreme/Mountaineer on the left and the Ulite on the right... Kinda of a big difference..

BarrelComp-1.jpg

Sabotloader,

I figured you for the Green stock. :wink:

Have you measured the diameter of the muzzle on the new UL verses your Elite? I would be interested in seeing the muzzles of those compared.
You really have me drooling now. :drool:

Great report as usual. That sure is a good looking gun!

ShawnT said:
Sabotloader,

I figured you for the Green stock. :wink:

Have you measured the diameter of the muzzle on the new UL verses your Elite? I would be interested in seeing the muzzles of those compared.
You really have me drooling now. :drool:

Everyone was getting the green stock - so I went with the tan one and I really like it. fits right in with the camo on my ATV Cover...

Here is a couple of pictures you can make the comparisons from the pictures I think... Elite on the left - Mountaineer/Extreme on the right

50calEliteMountaineer.jpg

BarrelComp-1.jpg

03mossy said:
Great report as usual. That sure is a good looking gun!

I agree, but Looks are only a very small part of what this rifle really is... The shorter LOP is a great fit for me and possibly even most especially in hunting gear and back pack straps...

Sweet! That would be my choice if I was in the market. I'm glad they decided to make the western version available. Looking forward to your range reports :D

Just an update on my progress or lack there-of

Really thought I was going to get an opportunity to shoot today... but it is not going to happen... It is Vandal Friday on campus and we have a family friend bringing their daughter over for the event from Portland, the parents are bunking here. So my time is not going to come today...

But just as an update - I pulled the BP and pushed .458, 452, and 40 cal. sabots through the bore.

All sabots loaded very well and most importantly the Orange MMP, the HPH-24 and the big thick MMP Blue 40x50 sabot all loaded as I wanted and needed. No need of the Crush Rib or the 3p-EZ Load sabot for loading...

Everyone was getting the green stock - so I went with the tan one and I really like it. fits right in with the camo on my ATV Cover...

Nice ATV accessory! :wink: :lol: :lol: Just kidding. It is a nice color, but I am hung up on that green one. Thanks for the picture The UL does look a little smaller in diameter. The specs and pictures I have seen have 3 really important things for me. Lop is shorter, 24" barrel, and NO Cheek Peice! :partyman: :drool: Cheek peices combined with Long LOP's and me just don't get along.

Keep the info coming. Thanks.

Back