Knight ??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bought a used Ultra-lite from Ourway77 and I guess I thought all ultra-lites had a Timney trigger. When I called to ask about buying one, i told Justin that it was an early model (or figured it was as it was low two digit serial number) Justin stated that I should have the Timney, told him it was silver and not red and he seemed surprised.

Not that I’m disappointed with the Vehr trigger but would prefer the Timney. He quoted me $180 (which seemed about 60, too much) and for some reason said they would only ship to an FFL?

Guess this has me stumped! Why would a trigger need to go to an FFL?

Last edited:
From a federal perspective, a replacement trigger/trigger group does not require a FFL to be involved in the shipping process. Some state laws can be more stringent than federal law and may require it but off the top of my head, I can't think of any.

Ive heard Savage does the same thing with a few parts that do not have any ATF restrictions.

Do/did all Ultralites come with Timney triggers?

The Ultra Light has been around since at least 2015. That is before Knight dropped Vehr and went back to Timney. I have one of the upper end Vehr triggers with the wide shoe and think its excellent for a hunting trigger. I actually have 2 of them. My 54-120 came with one also. I bought the other from Knight when Gordy was still with them. Pretty sure i paid under $125 for it. I bought a barrel and a trigger at the same time and dont remember which price was which. Might have been much less than that.

Like i said, Savage has done the same thing before with trigger parts. There is no law that prohibits the sale of triggers.

I have both triggers .I really can not tell much of a difference .

just for your information . I called Timney and asked them if they made a better trigger for Knights . When I say better I wanted a trigger that I could get down to about 1 to 1.5 lbs of pull . Timney told me they only made 1 trigger but they would polish me up a trigger that would allow to be lightened . I bought 2 triggers . Timney sent the triggers directly to me . I could not be happier with the triggers and the service Timney provided . Very impressed !

Can your current trigger ‘Vehr’? be adjusted? Does it have a similar setup? I’ve always been very happy with the triggers in my Knight M-L’s. I’m not sure what the somewhat older Elites have for a trigger, but it’s easily adjustable.

I would give it a go with your current trigger before looking to replace.

Seems like a vender issue, as to shipping to an FFL. Of course everyone wants to avoid any chance of litigation with selling a gun part.

The better Vehr has been used for ages. Its 3 way adjustable. pull, creep and over travel. Any Knight you see with "fully adjustable trigger" after and prior to Timney is basically a Vehr. He worked for Knight and Timney. After he left Knight he started Vehr/Velocity trigger and sold triggers to Knight.

https://velocitytriggers.com/about/

Here is mine (right side) next to a standard DISC Original trigger. I think they also sold it with a thinner trigger shoe . Mine is supposed to be the same trigger Knight used for the 2006 DE 45 1-18 Target model. The invoice was labeled something like "Competition Trigger" when i bought it.
z3Bx1yr.jpg

I have both triggers .I really can not tell much of a difference .

just for your information . I called Timney and asked them if they made a better trigger for Knights . When I say better I wanted a trigger that I could get down to about 1 to 1.5 lbs of pull . Timney told me they only made 1 trigger but they would polish me up a trigger that would allow to be lightened . I bought 2 triggers . Timney sent the triggers directly to me . I could not be happier with the triggers and the service Timney provided . Very impressed !

Good info, did not know and wasn’t sure that we could order direct from Timney. Figured if they were going to sale them, we’d see them somewhere for sale.

The one in mine looks like the One GM posted but says "Knight" in the Safety lever, Probably stamped that way due to contract. Mine too is a 2 digit serial# rifle. I tweaked mine down to just Slightly over 2lb. Nice and crisp, very good trigger. Love the Wide trigger shoe. I would not change it just to get one with the Timney name on it, but that's just my opinion.;) Of my Knight rifles, some are Timney, Some Knight and this last says Knight but I think it is the Vehr. I can't tell the difference between the Timney and this one.

upload_2019-10-24_19-3-49.jpeg

In this pic you can't tell this one has the wide shoe but it does. This one is actually a spare I got from the same Member I got the rifle from.
upload_2019-10-24_19-16-9.jpeg

Latest posts

Back