Knock down power

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bl Robertson

Reaction score
I just purchased a new Traditions Pursuit xt rifle and would like some bullet and powder load suggestions for white tail please. Something for a modest budget.

If it's a .50, try a 250 grain .45 cal. Hornady XTP in a Harvester crush rib sabot over 70 grains of 3f Swiss Holy Black, or an equivalent of your favorite. That load gets me 1575 fps from my 24 inch Firehawk and 1610 from my 28 inch Hawken. Haven't chrono'd my 26 inch Renegade yet.
This load has canceled the life subscription of 15 deer, of various sizes, quite neatly.
Using Swiss, I get 100 shots per pound( $42 / lb), $39/ 100 for the Hornadys and two 50 packs of Crush ribs run $22, or $11 each. Caps, #11s, run $15/100 so is $1.08 per shot, give or take.
Good load. Accurate, lethal ( I've taken deer to 150 yards with it) and polite on the shoulder.

Pursuit is an inline, with a 1:28, I think. If this is your first season and you want to keep things real simple, get yourself some Triple 7 or White Hot pellets, and use 2 per shot. I like heavier bullets, so would go with something in the 290 grain or 300…you can get a pack that includes the sabots. Or, you can choose your own bullet and sabot combination. Harvester’s website sells both sabots and bullets that are well regarded. IF you want to go the loose powder route and to keep things cheap, get a pound of Triple 7 FFG powder and start with a charge of 80 grains by volume and up to 100. I use 100 because it gives me the confidence that the velocity and energy are there at 100-125 yards even with a heavy bullet. A jug of powder will set you back around 45 bucks. Good luck!

I just purchased a new Traditions Pursuit xt rifle and would like some bullet and powder load suggestions for white tail please. Something for a modest budget.
Mine likes the 300gr SST in the red Sabot over 110gr BH209. Typically 1.5in groups with my crappy shooting. It knocks them dead. Ive had success with the 250gr but the 300gr seems to hold together better and has a little better bc. The 250 kills deer but it seems to break up pretty bad even at 100yds. I prefer pass throughs if possible. I also am not a fan of the idea of a cup and core style bullet breaking up and sending lead throughout the meat. Ive chrono’d it at 1850fps. The table is based on factory listed .25 bc and 150yd zero.

Attachments

• IMG_9003.png
    IMG_9003.png
    217.4 KB · Views: 0
Pursuit is an inline, with a 1:28, I think. If this is your first season and you want to keep things real simple, get yourself some Triple 7 or White Hot pellets, and use 2 per shot. I like heavier bullets, so would go with something in the 290 grain or 300…you can get a pack that includes the sabots. Or, you can choose your own bullet and sabot combination. Harvester’s website sells both sabots and bullets that are well regarded. IF you want to go the loose powder route and to keep things cheap, get a pound of Triple 7 FFG powder and start with a charge of 80 grains by volume and up to 100. I use 100 because it gives me the confidence that the velocity and energy are there at 100-125 yards even with a heavy bullet. A jug of powder will set you back around 45 bucks. Good luck!
Harvester 300gr shot ok for me out of mine but I lost a couple deer. May have been shot placement but I decided to go back to SST’s.

Back