I need to choose a NV elk muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wickedwagens

Reaction score
I decided to try the better draw odds of muzzle loader and put a few muzzy choices on my application. I was either going to get a new 7mm PRC elk rifle or a muzzleloader. Well I drew a really great muzzy elk tag in 104, 108, 121 north of Ely, NV and now I need a muzzleloader to get the job done. I'm looking in the $300-700 range. I was looking at the MR-X open sight model and liked the extra barrel length and sight length, but have seen a few posts with people having issues with the sights and poor QC on those. Should I just go with the Optima and add the Williams peep sights or is there something else in that price range that is a better firearm. The Traditions Pursuit VAPR XT looks nice (1:24), but I haven't heard great quality from Traditions either. I figure I might get into this and apply for more muzzleloader hunts in the future so I would like to get a rifle that will last and perform well. Just must be .45 cal or larger barrel and open sights. Thank you for any insight you can provide.

The MR-X actually has the shorter barrel of all you’ve mentioned. Being new to the ML club I would recommend either the Optima or the Wolf. Both good quality, lower price guns. You won’t be disappointed in either one and can recoup most of your $ if you decide your not going to be MLing in the future. The Optima is a great gun, lots of fans and owners here.
Lots of good used options, inyour price range, too. Like Kodiaks, Omegas, Encores, Renegades, Knights, Whites…

Welcome to the forum (from Las Vegas) and congrats on the tag!

I have to admit, I’m not a fan of anything made by Traditions or CVA. They do make passable entry-level rifles and you can upgrade later if you get the bug. I’d look for a White, TC or Knight for my money.

Welcome to the forum (from Las Vegas) and congrats on the tag!

I have to admit, I’m not a fan of anything made by Traditions or CVA. They do make passable entry-level rifles and you can upgrade later if you get the bug. I’d look for a White, TC or Knight for my money.
Absolutely, knowing what i know now, i would start with a Knight Ultra Lite, and have a forever gun. But at his experience level and price range, i think Optima is a fair choice. He will be spending plenty of additional $ on accessories and supplies. The learning curve on a break action is shorter, too.

And @Ninering62 has an awesome Remington 700ml that just needs sights. Sweet Boyds stock on it. Another gun that’ll last you forever, at a great price.
Thread 'REM 700ML .50'
FOR SALE - REM 700ML .50
Thanks for the plug brother. I just PM'd him about that. You're right, it would be perfect for what he wants. I have the .54 700ML minus the stock too. That too would fit what he wants.

Sportman’s Warehouse has an Optima V2 in 50 with sights $349…open sights is the greatest limiting factor for your situation (I shot a 340 bull in Nevada area 111 last fall…45 cal muzzleloader at 83 yds.) buying the expensive latest/greatest laser tack driver is fine thinking…but seriously those open sights are very limiting and shrink your maximum effective range to about 100yds/125 yds for which that Optima is more than adequate….getting that close to a bull elk outside of bugling season is where the “hunting“ part comes into play.

Yes, the open sights are definitely the range-limiting factor. But, with the right sights and decent eyesight most of us should be able to shoot 200-250 yards pretty easily.

The OPs hunt in units 104-121 is a late hunt (Oct 22-Nov 5) so it will not be a close range bugling hunt. I’d be prepared to shoot to at least 250 yards.

Yes, the open sights are definitely the range-limiting factor. But, with the right sights and decent eyesight most of us should be able to shoot 200-250 yards pretty easily.

The OPs hunt in units 104-121 is a late hunt (Oct 22-Nov 5) so it will not be a close range bugling hunt. I’d be prepared to shoot to at least 250 yards.
I set up my gun with the EABrown scope mount sight with the built in peepsight….test accuracy and trajectory with the scope on…remove the scope and sight in the peep to your best “point blank“ range…. I swear by Dead Center Bullets from Cecil at Precision Rifle Bullets…(some guys had trouble with Cecil) I did not….the OP will do just fine if he can hunt the waterholes or trails to and from…Over the years all my hunting partners that finally drew tags, killed bulls in this area with muzzleloaders and no one shot farther than 130 yds…usually about 60-70 yds.
By modern rifle season it’s more of 300 yd game.

And furthermore….what I observed last fall ( after 17years applying for my resident bull elk muzzleloader tag) in area 111 in Nevada was this….certain hunters, and this is becoming more common because Nevada is mostly public lands, certain hunters hired people to locate and sit on specific trophy bulls even claiming that it was their bull and when their hunter arrives Saturday he’ll shoot it…”that bull is spoken for”.
Thems some strange apples right there.

I set up my gun with the EABrown scope mount sight with the built in peepsight….test accuracy and trajectory with the scope on…remove the scope and sight in
That’s the best way to go about it.

what I observed last fall ( after 17years applying for my resident bull elk muzzleloader tag) in area 111 in Nevada was this….certain hunters, and this is becoming more common because Nevada is mostly public lands, certain hunters hired people to locate and sit on specific trophy bulls even claiming that it was their bull and when their hunter arrives Saturday
That’s becoming more frequent in lots of trophy units around the west. Certainly very common in area 11 (I had a tag there as well last year). Hopefully 104 won’t be as bad.

And furthermore….what I observed last fall ( after 17years applying for my resident bull elk muzzleloader tag) in area 111 in Nevada was this….certain hunters, and this is becoming more common because Nevada is mostly public lands, certain hunters hired people to locate and sit on specific trophy bulls even claiming that it was their bull and when their hunter arrives Saturday he’ll shoot it…”that bull is spoken for”.
Thems some strange apples right there.
Yeah, I have heard of weird stuff like that before with other outfitters.
Yes, a peep sight will be added to whatever I end up with. I’m hoping to be comfortable out to 200 or so and know what the rifle does at that distance.

Latest posts

Back