knocking the rust off after not shooting for a while (pics added)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corey0127781

Reaction score
well after a few month I finally got to the range. man I was rusty.
goals:
get out to shot
see how far off my scope is. it got knocked around a little in the last few months

temp: high 60's mid 70's
winds: 5 to 10mph steady 15 to 20mph gust
clear and very nice
gun: win apex 45cal
powder: 70 grs of t7 2f
primers: t7 then switched to cci 209m
bullet: powerbelt hp 275gr three with 300gr powerbelt plat

started off stopping by an gunshop to pick up an target stand and an ball starter.

got to the range, set up, no more then 3mins later the wind knocked down the card board i had to it put it back up. walked back to the to set up my gun for the first shot, scope dead center and hammer back, finger moving to the trigger, card board falls down again. moved the target stand 5ft back and used duct tape to hold the card board on. (little windy)

all with 70grs of t7 2f and t7 primers
my first shot low and little to the right. clean bore (shot an cap to foul the bore) second shot low center, 3rd low to the left, all about 1 to 2 inches.

adjusted the scope up 3 clicks (putting up 2inchs was the hope)
swabbed the bore

3 more on the same target. all 3 up and to the left. little concerned but did not worry about it.
swabbed the bore

changed the target

fired 3 with t7 primers and the same charge
1 up 3in from bulls and to the right less the an 1/2 in, second up and to left about the same
3rd, to the left center

an wtf moment, look down into my shooting box saw I had some cci 209m's, so i pulled them out and shot them.
swabbed the bore

using the same target to compare. 3 shots
2 hit right where the first t7 primer shot hit, (looked like in the same hole)
3rd 1in higher and center

when I looked at both the t7 primers and the cci's t7 primers where black from shooting, the cci's looked discolored from the heat of the discharge.

so 8 shoots, (don't ask me that is how that last round worked out)

swabbing every 3 shots.

the wind gust where more often by this point, to where I was shooting from.

2 shots grouped at the very top of the target. 3 shots in an 2 in groups high to the right of bulls. one to the left and high. 1 to the left but center. (my right shoulder decided to jerk right when I shot)

will not wright this off as an bad day. I got out to shot. finding out my scope was not that far off. I had other goals but the wind pushed them to another day.

on the way home I stopped at another gun shop, bought some powder funnels, flip style scope covers, and an lb of AP. I had bh 209 in my had but put it back, I think it is cheaper at an 3rd gun shop I get my bow work done at. also stopped at wally world and picked up some RS. did not realized I was out of it until last night.

I will post pics as soon as i find the bag that has my cable for my camera.

pic added

all targets where shot with 70gr of t7 at 50yrds,

275gr powerbelt hp, t7 primers, site check (no optic work do to wind conditions)

targetsoct007.jpg

275gr powerbelt, 6 shots total half with t7 primers the other half with cci 209m
targetsoct008.jpg

conclusion was cci 209m shots better with the gun.

all cci primers,
last few shots of the day, wind was picking up I was getting tired, the curse of my old site and clean rest. my toes where crossed funny, who knows why so many flyers.
targetsoct009.jpg

300gr powerbelt plat
70grs t7 2f
209m primers
this gun seems not to like them. found old pics of range sessions of me shooting them, everything 65 grs of rs to 85 grs of t7 2f same picture
targetsoct010.jpg

Latest posts

Back