KRB + FPB = Colorado load

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, after today's session, I feel I have found my timberline buck load for Colorado today.

Knight KRB, 90 gr. ffg 777. Winchester 777 209 primer, 350 gr Hornady FPB bullets.

Tried the bullets both as hollowpoints and with the tip simply cut off flush at the front of the bullet. They flew noticably better with the tips cut off flush.

All of these were 3 shot groups off sandbags with a williams rear peep, twilight williams appeture, and a front globe fiberoptic sight:

25 yards = 5/8 inch

50 yards = 1 & 1/4 inch

100 yards = 2 & 1/4 inch groups

Because of the timberline nature of this hunt, I hope to feel proficient out to 150 yards, so I took some shots at 150 from a prone shooting position over a backpack. All were kill shots although my groups opened up considerably. However, by the time I took those shots later in the morning, I had 10-20 mph winds. Tried to shoot between gusts, but you know how that goes.

Anyway, I am convinced that this will be my load for Colorado this year. I will also have a cow tag in my pocket, and I will not hesitate to use this load for an elk either.

Colorado FPB

Hey texas hunter
I was wondering how hard was it to shove the bullet down the barrel?Knights useally have a little bigger barrel than TC encores. I hope to draw out some day, got 10 pref. points now and have always shot the tc maxie balls. I would not mind finding a new bullet. Hope you get to test it.
Wayles

They are somewhat hard to start, but then just a good push will get them down the barrel. Just one hand required. However, I am using a ramrod that has a T at the end, so that makes it easier.

Timberline Hunt

If you are sighting this in in Texas you may want to shoot it and sight it in again when you get to higher altitude in Colorado. If you ae doing a Timberline hunt your zero will be much different at 11,500 feet (Timebeline) than a much lower altitude in Texas.. Trust me I hunt these altitudes every year. I saw a guy last year miss a nice bull as he had his rifle sighted in in Virginia and never though to sight it in at high altitude. Every year this happens to out of state hunters and some missed opportunities or wounded animals. My thoughts are if you are going to spend all of that money to come here at least take some time to sight in your rifle when you arrive at a higher altitude. I am not sure what area you are hunting but if you need a place to sight in I may be of some assistance.

Sounds good TX. I just changed my elk load from a 348 to a harder to find 400 grain flat point PB. Got a good deal on them too, 20 per package for under $14.

Latest posts

Back