KRB7 and BH209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone modified their KRB7 to work w/BH209? Seems like most are getting hang fires.

I want to get a Knight, but I guess I'd have to go w/the extreme and get the breach plug conversion from Midsouth. Would prefer to have the KRB7 though....

I tried to make my KRB-7 work with Blackhorn by drilling the flash channel of the breech plug to .035" but still got hangfires. I did get it to work perfectly with Blackhorn by using a "duplex" load, adding about 4 grains by weight of FFFG blackpowder to each 100 gr volumetric charge of BH209. This resulted in instant ignition every time.

If you premix the duplex loads in vials or speedloaders, loading in the field or on the range is fast and easy. Accuracy was great with the duplex loads, and since the KRB-7 is the most accurate muzzleloader I have ever owned, it is worth the trouble.

Also, the advantages of BH209 were still there with the duplex loads...there was no need to swab between shots.

txhunter58 said:
Knight is supposed to be working on the problem and I suspect they will have a new breechplug design out in the next year or so.

Where did you hear that? I contacted Knight twice about my KRB7 and they basically ignored me. I get better feed back from CVA (BPI)) and they said they do not approve BH209 yet but they know it will work in my Optima Elite (which is more than I would expect if they have not approved it as yet) They also said to limit to 100gr or less but "they do not approve it as yet". They seem to be quicker to reply and more concerned that the customer is happy. I have one Knight and One CVA and several T/Cs. The T/C customer service was good a long time ago but recently seems like Knights attitude. NEF was really good before they were bought out now I don't know as I have not contacted them lately.

Just internet scuttlebut, but I could be wrong. Probably they are waiting to see if it really takes off. If lots of people are shooting it, then it is worth their while to retool. We will see.

Latest posts

Back