KRB7 AND BULLSHOP CONICALS

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwmican

Reaction score
100_2872.jpg

Today my brother in law and I went shoot my muzzeloaders. I drew a Colorado Bull Elk tag and he drew a Cow tag. This is his first time muzzeloader hunting so I told him he could use my T/C Black Diamond XR because he does not have one. My KRB7 was already sighted in, so I just popped off a couple of shots. We were shooting at about just a little under a hunderd yards which is why my two shots are a little high, but the KRB put two shots almost in the same hole! I am shooting Bullshop 460 grain nex bullets with 85 grains of 777 and a wad. My brother in law had bought a pack of Powerbelts to take along and his first shot was low and to the right. We adjusted the sights and two shots later he was hitting good. Pretty good for open sights I think.

That is some real good shooting there. My Black Diamond XR does real well with No Excuses 460 grain .503 conicals. Perhaps Dan could make you some to try in your Black Diamond XR as well.

Shot some more today, got the same consistent results. I think I am ready for Elk season! :wink:

gwmican,

You have chosen an excellent load for elk, but do your BIL a big favor and leave those 295 gr PowerBelts back home. I have witnessed a PowerBelt failure at 28 yards an a beautiful 6x6. Give your BIL some of your BS 460's to try, and you both will be eating elk backstraps. 80 to 90 grains of 777 will do the trick. I use 80 grains 777 FFFG and either a 430 gr White Super Slug or NE/BS 460 with a fiber gasket wad. We call them in close, usually within 50 yards, you want a bullet that will stay together, a powder charge that will work up close or at 125-150 yards.

Good luck in Colorado! What area are you hunting in?

noexcuses.jpg

I should note.. the card says 100 yards but that was before I got my range finder. I checked my pace later and learned it was more like 88 yards as I remember. (which is one reason I bought a range finder)

These were with No Excuses. They load like a dream and shoot real good in my XR. I would think that load there would be a good elk load.

Yea I know not to use the 295 Powerbelts. That is all I had that day and he really wanted to shoot my Black Diamond. He bought some 338 grain Powerbelts, but I don't know if he has it sighted in with those yet. As for where we are hunting, we hunt close to Chromo Colorado. My dad has been hunting there since the early 70's and we know the area well.

Latest posts

Back