Large Magnum Rifle Primers vs Large Rifle Primers??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As I await my new smokeless build, I have a couple hundred large magnum rifle primers left, but if those primers don't become available at some point I will have to switch to simply large rifle primers. Any input from you guys as to how that will affect powder burn, accuracy, ect?? I use Ammoseek and have an alert set for the magnum primers but so far they have been snatched up before I can get to them.

As I await my new smokeless build, I have a couple hundred large magnum rifle primers left, but if those primers don't become available at some point I will have to switch to simply large rifle primers. Any input from you guys as to how that will affect powder burn, accuracy, ect?? I use Ammoseek and have an alert set for the magnum primers but so far they have been snatched up before I can get to them.
I’ve been using CCI BR-2 LRP’s for 3yrs now. I’ve never used the LRMP’s, never saw a point to it where I live.
From my understanding, in areas where temps are extremely cold may cause some ignition failures with BH 209, not sure about any other powder or sub. But that would be where a mag primer may be better suited than a standard primer. Outside of that I see no point for their use.

A couple of thoughts. BR (benchrest) primers are hotter, to my understanding, than regular primers. I’ve used both LRMPs and LRPs and notice very little difference. Personally, I have no reservations using BR primers.

I use either, when I switch and groups change I adjust my load. We have to use what we can get these days and it has me buying powders I have never used but have known of others using. I do not target shoot anywhere near what I used to because of supply issue.

I cant say for igniting black powder but I have shot a boat load of both and really could never see a difference in cartridges. The only time I would be concerned about interchanging them is if I was using max or near max loads for cartridges that is. CCI 200 and CCI 250 that is.

I found a difference between the two in a .300 magnum I had. With H4831 and charges of 70grs or more the mag primers gave more velocity. You couldn't see any difference on the target, the chronograph showed almost 200fps faster with the mag primers.

The slowest powder I ever used was 4350. I have read they suggest magnum primers for ball or really slow powder. Sounds exactly like what you are saying Bert621. 200 fps, thats a serious increase.

You may get the big swings in cartridge rifles but I have never experienced much more than 10fps difference between lrp and lrmp with a(smokeless ML).

I have a shortlist of primers for all of my reloading needs...

Large Rifle Magnum Primers
Small Rifle Magnum Primers
Large Pistol Magnum Primers
Small Pistol Magnum Primers

Federal Premium 209MZ for my brother's smokepole

Start low and work up. Less variables for me.

I’ve been using CCI BR-2 LRP’s for 3yrs now. I’ve never used the LRMP’s, never saw a point to it where I live.
From my understanding, in areas where temps are extremely cold may cause some ignition failures with BH 209, not sure about any other powder or sub. But that would be where a mag primer may be better suited than a standard primer. Outside of that I see no point for their use.
mag primers make great fun in those fake cigarettes...

I've used both in my Arrowhead conversion in my CVA Accura V2 Plains Rifle and I've not seen an appreciable difference under warm weather conditions. Both ignite my BH209 charges FAR cleaner than any 209 primer every thought of. I have nearly 1000 CCI LRMP's on hand. I'd be happy to send you some. Luke at Arrowhead is a pretty sharp cookie and if he designed his breech plugs for LRMPs there has to be a reason for it.

Back