Late model Traditions Hawken

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rowdyjoe

Reaction score
Howdy folks.  New guy here with a question.

I've seen a new/late model Traditions percussion rifle called a Hawken but, it doesn't have the designation "Woodsman".  Can someone tell me the difference, if any, between the one I've seen and the Traditions Hawken "Woodsman" model?

Thanks,
Garry

Do you have a link to the one that's just Hawken? There should be another name with it. Sometimes guys will leave it off.

Welcome to the forum.

It was on one of the on-line sites. 
Pictures of the barrel markings don't show any other "name" and the seller states that it's "just like the Woodsman" without the name "Woodsman".    ??

Basically the name change and a little bit of stock difference over the years. Last year the Hawken Woodsman got an entire new stock thats beefier and blocky around the lock panel.

You'll even find the Traditions Springfield Hawken which uses a single trigger.

tradit10.jpg

tradit11.jpg

Strange barrel markings.  ??

Thanks FG. 
The barrel markings are a bit strange to me but, I'm new to BP firearms and trying to get educated.  I'm "looking" for a rifle but, in no hurry.  The overall condition of this one caught my eye but, it looked unusual ...especially the abbreviation for caliber .... CL ????

Yeah, some makers do some odd things with stamping stuff in.

Deepriver CT is odd too, must be an oldie as the new traditions say Old Saybrook CT.

Whats the asking price?

FrontierGander said:
A bit high IMO. A new Hawken Woodsman runs $388
Most of the on-line sales sites are a bit high IMO (especially the auctions) ...but, I don't really know enough to have an opinion yet.  That's why I'm asking the experts.  :)
I've seen the new "Woodsman" for as low as $376 NIB.

When you add shipping, it would run about $270 IF you could get it for the starting/opening bid.  It makes for a tough decision ...used vs. new.  It's supposed to be very close to unfired condition which adds to the dilemma.

Fg has two Woodsmans and I just bought one. Nice gun for the money.

I've been screwed a few times buying used sidelocks. I'd rather pay a little more and get a new one with a warranty.

Bear Claw said:
Fg has two Woodsmans and I just bought one. Nice gun for the money.

I've been screwed a few times buying used sidelocks. I'd rather pay a little more and get a new one with a warranty.
Yeah, that's why I'm leery of a gun I can't physically touch and inspect.  I'll probably wait a while longer, save my pennies, and buy a new one.  I really like the new Woodsman and the price is right.

I was very curious about the "Woodsman that's not a Woodsman" and the barrel markings.  I "assumed" (mostly not a good idea) that Traditions didn't make a Hawken before the Woodsman.

I like the look of the new "Mountain" rifle too.

Yes, and even though he claimed it wasn't shot much. If he didn't take care of it the right way it could be pitted. That's what got me in the past. The outside of the gun looked new and the bore was a mess.

I agree the mountain rifle looks good. I have a bum back and can't hold up a longer barreled sidelock anymore. I had GPR's which are similar to the Mountain Rifle. So, I settled on the Woodsman and i'm glad I did. My back thanked me. It has a nice balance to it.

I can understand that.  My back probably wouldn't stand up to toting a 10lb rifle around either so, I'll likely go with the Hawken's 8lbs.  Lighter is better ....except for recoil.  :)

Not so much carrying it as in shouldering it. The longer barrel just seems to pull hard on my lower back. I take all my shots standing offhand and my lower back suffers. The Woodsman feels much better. Athough, carrying the gun in the Rockies can beat me up too.

Recoil shouldn't be too bad. I haven't shot it yet, but it should be similar to the TC Hawken. My load will be 75gr of Swiss 3F and a PRB for elk and muley's. Get close and double lung shots only should fill the freezer.

Yeah, I can imagine that.

Good luck with the hunting.  All I plan to hunt is paper or metal targets but, you never know.  We have a pretty serious hog problem in TX and if the opportunity presented itself, I might be inclined to eradicate a few.  :)

Oh you'll have the hog hunting with a side lock! I used a brand new traditions hawken woodsman flintlock and 80gr 2fg on this one at 50 yards. check it out here, https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com/t9814-the-hog-hunt-story-pics?highlight=oklahoma+hog+hunt

Nice story and you tell it well.  Thanks for sharing. 

Now, all I need is a rifle.  A buddy of mine has a place out west of town and he says it's covered up in hogs.  I hope to find out this fall.  It's getting to danged hot & humid to hunt in TX.  It was 93 yesterday and I think it made it to about 88 or 89 in heavy humidity today.  WX looks cooler for next week but, last I checked we had a 50% to 75% chance of rain every day though the weekend !  We can use the rain but, I'd like it spread out a little.  :)
I'm keeping an eye on this rifle.  I'm interested in it if the price is right.  Anyone have experience with a "pre-Woodsman" Traditions Hawken?

rowdyjoe
Don't know if this helps or is even relevant?
I just bought a Traditions 50 cal. St. Louis Hawken kit back in February to put together for my doctor. As far as I know, the Woodsman doesn't have brass furniture it's all iron The St. Louis Hawken has the brass furniture.  I can tell you that the price you got is pretty doggoned good, I shelled out just South of $400.00 for the one I got. I'm not impressed with the fact that it came with Plastic sights! TA makes steel sights available for an additional $54.00, which in my opinion, is highway robbery! Why can't TA just include the steel sights? The plastic ones look nice, and from the reviews that I've read they work fine, but when you shell out that kind of money it should be ALL metal....just sayin' Take care, good luck with your purchase.
Stoney

Latest posts

Back