late season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white eagle

Reaction score
Is it worth the time and effort to hunt turkeys in the later parts of the seasons?
Say mid to late May. My season ended today but I can buy another tag for the late seasons but my concerns would be that the tom's are retired and henned up at that point of the year. Would this assumption be true or would it be worth a shot?

The later end of the season can be hit or miss. Calling may not be too effective. Sitting and waiting, kinda like deer hunting is usually what I do late season. I don't expect too much action but it's fun just to be in the woods, none the less.

I have a friend who prefers the late late season, when hens are basically nesting. He says the Toms are easy to pull in as there are no available hens left. He says they don't gobble much at all, but they do commit. He bags a large Tom just about every year. BUT, one thing is that Toms are now "Call educated" at this time of year, and you have to have an array of calls in your arsenal.

I posted in another thread that I’ve bought $10 Oklahoma turkey tags for years knowing there was little to no chance I was going to kill a turkey, so heck yeah, I’d buy the extra tag and hit the woods. As was posted a couple posts up, it’s time in the woods, and if you do kill a bird, that’s just a bonus.

hunting is of course what it is about after that unfortunate meeting I had earlier I can't wait to try them again.
I have never really had the turkey hunting bug, not like deer hunting, but that is changing
It seems as though my technique also has to change from what I do in the earlier seasons it is interesting for sure

had one gobble at around 10 a.m and would not come out into the open field snuck around me gobbling from south to north and at 12:00 I pulled the pin
seems as though I will need to hunt in the woods to get him

had one gobble at around 10 a.m and would not come out into the open field snuck around me gobbling from south to north and at 12:00 I pulled the pin
seems as though I will need to hunt in the woods to get him
Probably winded you !! /Ed

Back