LB Rock Pit with T7 & BH

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
I had some really great plans for tasks to get done today in the rock pit.... nothing went much as planned....

Goal #1 - Check to make sure the Omega was still sighted in as I had left it 2 season's ago... + I had removed the standard black composit stock and installed a thumbhole composit stock.

I broke out 10 clay pigeons and placed them on the rock wall at the back of the pit(100 to 105 yards)... I really like shooting breakable targets - but after my first shot I thought Oh-Oh! - I aimed right on the center of the disk and it was still there when the smoke cleared. The gun is sighted 2 1/2 high @ 100 so hopefully maybe that is why. Re-loaded sighted in on the bottom of the disk - no disk when the smoke cleared - picked off six more without a problem. Then I thought I would get the last 3 with BH-209 (part of the plan - actually I was to shoot 5 and 5 but when you are on a role it is hard to change course)

I had pre-loaded 10 of Lanes tubes with a measured 77 grains (110 grains volume) of BH-209. Which was the next goal (Goal #2) I wanted to test... would a 25acp small rifle primer ignite BH-209??? The first two shots with BH seemed very good instant ignition - recoil felt good and most importantly - the birds broke with the same POA. The 3rd shot I thought there might have been a hint of a hang fire but everything seemed OK and the bird broke....

Goal #3 - was to get some comparison velocities of BH and T7. I have this theory that for BH to work to maximum effeciency that it has to be ignited with a very hot start. If my thoery was correct then the 25acp if it started the BH - the velocity should be down. One of the goals in the propose comparison was to check that theory with a Small Rifle primer a small rifle mag primer and then a CCI 209m primer and a Cheddite 209 primer.

Goal #3 went to heck in a hand basket as my tripod failed to work properly so I could not get the Chrono positioned correcty... Goal #3 will have to wait for another trip. PLUS - it was really getting hot - I was sweating up a storm dripping all over the stock - I hate shooting when it is hot...

Final thing I did before leaving was to post a target @ 100 and conduct one final test...

Shot #1 was with 110gr. T7 - 250 grain Gold Dot - HPH-24 25 acp primer... I did not feel real good about the shot when it went off - felt I may have pulled it a bit.
Shot #2 as above but the hold felt better...
Shot #3 - 110 gr. BH-209... It was a definite hang fire not much of one but I knew it was a hang fire...
Shot #4 - as above with BH but I switched to a Small Rifle Mag Rifle primer. All was well in the world again instant ignition and recoil felt correct.

Shot 4 more BH shots with mag primers @ pieces of the clay pigeons on the rock bank... no hint of a hang fire and the gun was totally accurate... It will be the deer hunting gun for this season - but i will be using T7 powder.

Here is the 4 shot target... doesn't show a lot but the POA was the same for all 4 shots

9-24Omega.jpg

Back