Lead Removal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just curious as to what you guys found best to remove the lead from your bbls and what you use to clean them with.

Thanks...Ed

I badly leaded the bore of my .50 muzzleloader by firing conicals. After two cleaning sessions the bore remained badly leaded. Bought some Hoppe's Bore Gel. That got the lead out.

Asked the same question a while back. Got some good replies.

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=29468

Hoppe's ELite Gun Cleaner seemed to work very well. I was prepared to use the bore jag wrapped with some strands of copper wool as advised (make sure you use copper strands from real copper scrub brushes (Chore-Boy) versus copper coated steel) but the Elite cleaner was pretty successful and fairly non-toxic. And cheap since you can pick it up at Wally World. Whatever solvent you use, let it soak a bit.

All I have used lately is Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber and a good brush. I do the rifle bores good with a wire bore brush (after I spray down inside of the bore and let them sit a little while.) Then I use some patches with the same product on them. I never seem to get too much lead out of them.

Latest posts

Back