Lead shot bags for patches?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMG1894

Reaction score
Hey has anyone ever used your empty shot bags for patch material?
I have about a half dozen not employed at the moment.
Thanks in advance,

Sgt Recoil

I thought about it, but comparing it to ticking showed it was too thin, and in fact not as tightly woven.  Too many other patch options in the house, I never went ahead and tried it.  Let us know the results if you do!

I have a .32 Pedersoli Frontier. Maybe for that then.

1) Because I have a dozen or so unemployed empty bags.
2) Pillow tick is not a common find up here in Canada. You are pretty much forced to buy pre lubed patches made by TC or Traditions which cost around $20/100
3) For the above reasons is why I bothered to ask my question on this muzzle loading forum. If you have some spare yardage of pillow ticking I’d be happy to pay the shipping for some. ;)

If you can't get pillow ticking then I get it. I guess I just assumed everyone has a Walmart nearby and can buy ticking. Thats where I bought all that I have. I used my shot bags filled with sand for shooting rest bags.

I guess the best way to find out if the shot bags will work for patching is to cut one up and fire a few shots and see if the spent patches hold up to the ride down the bore.

And if the bags don't work let me know and I will pick up a couple of yards and send it to you. Hows that? I have used the precut patching myself and didn't like it.

Much appreciated Mr Burlesontom :D
Believe me. It checked Walmart, Fannys Fabrics, Fabric Wharehouse Wonderland and every time I asked they looked at me like I had a toaster on my head.
I plan on trying a bag when I get home. If they dont work then sand bags like you mentioned seem to be the best alternative.
Thanks Mr Burlesontom :)

Well it sounds like you have at least looked. The last time I looked at WM they had some red striped PT and I should have bought a couple of yards. There would not be any doubt about which patches were mine. Plus it looked cool after looking at blue striped stuff for so many years. :lol:

If the bags don't work let me know I will get you fixed up. Thomas

Thomas,
I am in your gratitude Sir!
Many many thanks and kindest regards,

Jamie

I thought I would mention that in the BP manual written by Sam Fadala he stated he had used blue jean material for patching. Anything that will ride out the firing and ride through the barrel will work. But patching is important.

My first BP rifle was a 54 Cabelas Hawken and I bought a starter kit with it. The patches in the kit were so thin (.010) that every shot blew a patch. I nearly gave up on BP shooting because I couldn't hit anything and couldn't figure why. Sam Fadala told me why. Once that was learned I was off to the races and never looked back.

I use empty shot bags for "sandbags" to be used on the bench.  I like heavy canvas for patches even better than denim.

BrownBear said:
I thought about it, but comparing it to ticking showed it was too thin, and in fact not as tightly woven.  
That was we found 30 years ago and since then haven't given it another try.

I measured the bag thickness and one was 30 thou and the other was 20 thou...... too thick for my uses.
The bags are from late 70’s I’m figuring. The weave looks pretty good and tight but just too thick.
So like mentioned I will use these for sand bags.
Thanks again all.

Sgt, did you measure the "compressed" thickness of that material?  The canvas I use is .030" with thumb pressure using calipers.  When the jaws are squeezed with both hands it averages .023".

Hanshi, no not exactly. I placed bag between calipers and closed jaws. No compression.
The pre-lubed patches I’ve been using have been .15 thou.
So should i measure them fully compressed?

Sgt Recoil

I would.  When you seat the prb you want at least a little compression in the grooves to mitigate gas blow-by and scorched patches.  Compression the material as hard as you can will give you an idea of compression you will get in the bore grooves.  This usually translates into better accuracy and often higher velocities.  I like it because it keeps fouling accumulation down in the bore.  You end up with only one shot's worth of fouling after many shots.  I don't swab between shots and shoot 25 to 45 shots with no decrease in accuracy and the seating of the 40th prb is as easy as the first.  I did smooth the crown on my rifles to make the crown a smooth transition to the lands.  I still use a short starter but seating is easy with the wood underbarrel rod.

Lube makes a difference, too.  I use either TOW mink oil or Hoppes <a href='/tags/9' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #9'>#9</a> BP Lube.  The Hoppes makes for the easiest seating but the mink oil goes down just about as easily.  All it takes to radius the crown is your thumb and two or three grades of sandpaper.

Hanshi said:
Lube makes a difference, too.  I use either TOW mink oil or Hoppes <a href='/tags/9' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #9'>#9</a> BP Lube.  The Hoppes makes for the easiest seating but the mink oil goes down just about as easily.  All it takes to radius the crown is your thumb and two or three grades of sandpaper.
Spit works very nicely too for a fast second shot.

Radiusing the crown with your thumb is simple but can make a difference if not careful. The pressure applied can change a little from start to finish making a difference in the coning when looked at with a mag glass. Be very careful if doing this.

I’ll more than likely leave crown as is. As for lube I been using the same recipe i got of another Muzzleloading Forum, Crisco, bees wax and olive oil. Been working fine since 2007.
It just so happens i came accross the pillow ticking. Two pillow cases worth. The Mrs and I dropped off some old clothes and appliances and the Sally Anne this morning and low and behold were two pillows in the scrap bin with thier ever so familiar blue stripes. I asked the lady if they were garbage, yep going to the burn pile. My wife rolled her eyes on the way out the door, I was smiling ear to ear.
Both are in the wash right now.
Definitely have to go do some shooting <a href='/tags/1' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #1'>#1</a> with some new patch material; and <a href='/tags/2' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #2'>#2</a> with a couple new shooting sandbags. :D
Thanks again All!!!’

Latest posts

Back