Left Hand sidelock?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caniborrowsomeammo

Reaction score
So I am a Southpaw, a Lefty, and left eye dominant.;) I am considering a sidelock as I like the looks of a traditional rifle. Most are made for you Rightys, but a few are Left Handed. And not many options are as available in the LH models, mainly barrel twist methinks.
If I buy a traditional, how important is it I get a Left Hand gun? I'm preferring Flintlock but Percussion isn't out of the question.

I'm a left eye dominant southpaw and I have never had any issues using my right handed TC Hawken, although It would be nice to be able to use that beautiful cheek piece ;)

Last edited:
So I am a Southpaw, a Lefty, and left eye dominant.;) I am considering a sidelock as I like the looks of a traditional rifle. Most are made for you Rightys, but a few are Left Handed. And not many options are as available in the LH models, mainly barrel twist methinks.
If I buy a traditional, how important is it I get a Left Hand gun? I'm preferring Flintlock but Percussion isn't out of the question.

good morning. I too am left hand and eye, and my first percussion was a TC left hand. It works really nice, but is quite heavy and I finally bought a traditions right side percussion last spring. It works fine, I don't even notice the little flash, I use one of Ted Cash's primers and is not hard to do. I also have a left-hand flintlock which I really do like. I do like my left-handed rifles, price dictated the last one. I understand they're harder to sell, but I didn't buy any of them with the intention of selling them, I bought them to use.
squint

Thank you all for the replies, I'll start looking at RH guns too then. I may get lucky and a LH may come up but when a good used rifle is found I won't have to worry if it's right or left.

Lefty here. When I started shooting (12years old) (52 years ago) no one ever told me about left handed guns. So everything I have is for a righty. You just learn to adjust. ( my favorite is watching the ejection of 20 gauge shells right before my eyes out of my semi auto while pheasant hunting ) I don't shoot left handed guns because Im afraid I will confuse the safety and be dangerous. With practice any right handed gun will work fine. Lefty guns can be more difficult to resell.

For my $.02 I would say if this is going to be a lifelong rifle then get the lefty. If you are thinking its just a filler for a while than go righty.

For all you lefties out there,
There is a gun auction coming up Jan. 2 both live and online that has listed these two left-handed sidelocks

Item #642 Cabelas Hawkin, 45 caliber, percussion

&

Item #647A Traditions Deerhunter, 50 caliber, flintlock

If anyone is interested I would PM you a link or you could Goggle it and probably find it too. The auction is in South Dakota.

Lefty here. When I started shooting (12years old) (52 years ago) no one ever told me about left handed guns. So everything I have is for a righty. You just learn to adjust. ( my favorite is watching the ejection of 20 gauge shells right before my eyes out of my semi auto while pheasant hunting ) I don't shoot left handed guns because Im afraid I will confuse the safety and be dangerous. With practice any right handed gun will work fine. Lefty guns can be more difficult to resell.

For my $.02 I would say if this is going to be a lifelong rifle then get the lefty. If you are thinking its just a filler for a while than go righty.
Hey 'Snap,'
I know this is an old post, but i just found it today. I am actually another lefty, very close to you in Imlay city, and am having some trouble finding my next rifle locally and was hoping you might be able to point me in the right direction. I'm looking to get a long term keeper, so looking for something fairly specific. Last year Kenockee trading post had exactly what i want now, but i was in the market for something else then and its gone now. (Just my luck)
Anyway, hope to hear from you soon,
'Trafic'

Well i am in the truck with y'all, southpaw n dominant left eye. Been that way for 73 years n am not going to change now. I also want a rock sparker in left hand, but its very tough to find the stock i want to start my build. I have not ever built one from scratch. I certainly don't want another factory made anything. Reason it you never get one that fits you, you have to conform n fit it !

Being a lefty can cause a little challenge but there is also an advantage. I can shoot left or right handed if needed. Helps a lot when hunting. If a deer comes in from the right side shooting left handed is good. If a deer comes in from the left side I simply slide my gun to the right arm and Im good. Frankly Im a better shooter with my right hand side. I think because I actually have to think of the mechanics as I do it. Where as left handed I just shoulder and shoot. Weird but works for me.

I can also swap shoulders n shoot decently, but i have to wear my script glasses cause my right eye has vision loss. I getting older n a it chaps my as* to conform ! I have found a stock in LH i can live with but its not my 1st,2nd,or 3rd choice.

For just a quick close shot with my Pietta I'm faster with my right, but more accurate at long range with my left. With rifles and shotguns, I'm completely ambidextrous.

My brothers and I play a version of the game HORSE (the basketball game) but with guns and using Battleship reactive targets. I shoot LH to get ahead, then RH for an ambidextrous shot. From there they can't beat me. Lol!

Left handed flintlocks tend to be hard to find as compared to right handed percussion ones. But they do show up here or there from time to time. I found one many years ago and so far it is the only one I have seen so far around here.

Its hard to find a LH stock period ! I have been on Pecatonica's Site for couple hours trying to se what i could put together that was not too strange when finished. My stock choices got all messed up. Becks is only RH, J Dickert is only RH, Early Lancaster is only RH. So they do havea Tn. Mtn. in LH. Can get an L&R Manton Flint-lock. I dislike a lollypop tang, will have to go with a Fantail or longer straight tang. The butt plate has a hook shape at the top, not for me. I am going with an Early Lancaster n cut it down to fit my smaller thinner butt-stock. Will use an L&R single trigger. Hope to get a 7/8" .45 in a Gn. MTN. with a 1:60 twist for PRB. Going to pin triggerguard. A screw held one does not fit in with the 1770-1815 style rifle. This rifle n barrel will carry open sights. I just have not decided on how to shock people when they look at it. I am not a fan of blade front sight cause you never get the same sight picture unless you file cut a step n drop paint on it. As you can see this will end up as a lot of mis-matched parts. I may drill n tap couple of screw holes n put a T/C Hawken rear adjustable sight on it. In stead of tap n drift too much here n back there n messed up again & so on.
Oh yeah now i just have to save up the samolians, should have it by Spring of 2025.

Last edited:
I bought a Lyman LH flintlock in 2004 and have never been sorry. Did take some tinkering to get it to work good, but was fun figuring out what makes a flintlock work.
Squint

I bought a Lyman LH flintlock in 2004 and have never been sorry. Did take some tinkering to get it to work good, but was fun figuring out what makes a flintlock work.
Squint
You did well then. I am scared to buy used online as so many people just trying to take you for your samolians. I have 2 RH factory rock sparkers n i suppose they do for what they are. I have always wanted a built rock sparker n i am not getting any younger. So i think i will just buy my rifle parts as i get the funds on hand. So a stock n butt plate, trigger-guard & some good tools would be a good start. Hey i am eat up with it don't cha know.

Last edited:
Back